AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to HTPC but a long time computer hobbyist and have scoured the threads in the last couple of weeks and though I have learned volumes, I still cannot seem to get my computer output(via DVI) to my 26" Samsung HDTV to be readable beyond the lowest resolution.

I am using powerstrip to tweak the resolutions and so far the only thing readable from 6' away is 672 x 440 (resolution in a resolution tweak of 720 x 480 to adjust for overscan)

I can do 1280x720 but is very unreadable. That's with windows fonts and icons set to largest size.

Am I expecting too much?

This is just a little better than a s-video computer connection.

I haven't found anyone who has worked out any powerstrip timings on these forums yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

AMD +3200

ATI 8500 DVI

xp pro sp2

1 gig pc3200 ram

120gig drive

Samsung TX-p2670wh HDTV with native 480p and 1080i resolutions with everything in between upscaled I guess.

· Registered
211 Posts
Are you trying to find the timings for HDTV resolution, or do you have that and you're just trying to get windows fonts readable?

I don't think you'll ever be able to get readable font size at the higher resolutions on a TV. I think this is because 1) the screen is interlaced and 2) you're not sitting two feet away like you are with a monitor.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm trying to tweak the timings for the HDTV resolution to hopefully have a sharper resolution.

The windows fonts are at their largest setting on the lowest resolution and though readable(and fuzzy), I have very little real estate to work.

Also, at that same resolution I can definitely see a much sharper image on my 19" CRT monitor screen which is at the same distance next to the TV.

Thanks for the reply, I'm beginning to believe my expectations were too high! That resolution is almost useless for cruising the internet where I have to constantly use the scroll bar back and forth to read a section of text.

The DVD output however seems to be on par with my standalone player.

· Registered
211 Posts
Do you plan on getting an HDTV card? That's when your TV should really shine. And if you're into tweaking, you might want to try using ffdshow when you play your DVDs. The screenshots I've seen of ffdshow processing are pretty impressive.

But yeah, interlaced screens aren't too great for general PC use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.