AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on ordering a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 in the near future, so I'm deciding on a screen.

I'll probably order a fixed-frame screen from Elite, unless someone recommends something else.

The room isabout 18' x 15', and the throw distance will probably be 17', unless someone recommends another distance.

Ambient light will be controlled by drapes backed with blackout material, and a lot of viewing will be done at night.

I know it's affected by personal preference, but would a gray or white screen work best for this application?

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Gray sceens are only needed for the case where you don't have good control over ambient light and that's not your case (or so it seems). I would go with a white screen. Also the Eilte white screen will produce a brighter image overall than their gray screen.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I would also suggest a white screen. However, if you walls are white or really reflective then a gray screen may help with the reflection you would get off the walls and back on to the screen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki /forum/post/14356143

I would also suggest a white screen. However, if you walls are white or really reflective then a gray screen may help with the reflection you would get off the walls and back on to the screen

The walls in its future room will be painted a dark color in the future (maybe wine red), but for now they're pretty light.

However, for a few months at least, it will be in my bedroom, which has brownish walls. The ceiling white, but vaulted, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I may just purchase the White EZframe from Elite, and if needed get the gray fabric later.

Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I would get the screen color that will be used in the long run. I mean, if the walls will be light for a couple of months, then I would live with the white screen until you darken them.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypillow /forum/post/14338128

I plan on ordering a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 in the near future, so I'm deciding on a screen.

I'll probably order a fixed-frame screen from Elite, unless someone recommends something else.

The room isabout 18' x 15', and the throw distance will probably be 17', unless someone recommends another distance.

Ambient light will be controlled by drapes backed with blackout material, and a lot of viewing will be done at night.

I know it's affected by personal preference, but would a gray or white screen work best for this application?

I saw this title and was like 'WOW I'm EXACTLY in this guys boat!!!' except I have my Z2000 already, ceiling mounted, 14ft throw, 110" Diag FLAT WHITE PAINTED wall. (Bat Cave, total light controlled in the basement, 2 small windows are blacked out) With Dark Navy Blue Walls, and a medium Gray ceiling. (Think of the Dallas Cowboy's Colors)

I'm still confused with 'Gain' and which I would need etc. I have noticed that some of the blacks seem... how do I describe it... 'Empty' No definition at all. I have recently 'tweaked' the Z2000, but have yet to really test it. I remember one of the last scenes in 'The Guardian' where they are in the Helicopter, and the blacks were down right horrible.

Any recommendations for a screen for this setup, would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
being that you are using a painted white wall, you have no idea what its doing to your picture and or blacks. Some people do go with a painted wall and are happy, but I think if you are going to spend the money on a projector, you may as well get a screen that will make the picture the best possible.

Rick since you have the bat cave scenario, I would also go with a 1.3 gain white screen. Depending on the manufacturer the gain could be less and that would be okay as your screen isnt relatively large

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks Daniel,

The Flat White Painted Wall is only temporary, we went a little over budget (ok ok *ALOT* over budget) on the room, so we decided we could sacrifice being 'screenless' for a few months. Being with A/V S, could you drop me a PM with some suggestions? We are looking at 106" to 110" Fixed Frame... Price point $500 (ish) in the 1.3 Gain (per your suggestion) area. Back to work I go! I'll check back in a few hours.

(Oh anyone else can make suggestions too! I dont mind!)

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts