AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theatre is nearing completion...I am struggling with the ultimate screen decision. I have a 92" diagonal Stewart Firehawk from my previous theatre.

The easiest solution is to simply keep this screen. The advantage is no additional cost and a screen that gives exceptional performance. The disadvantages are that the screen is a bit undersized for the new theatre (first row of seating is at 12') and that the screen isn't acoustically transparent.

Screen Research apparently has acoustically transparent screens with limited light loss, but they are expensive. Stewart's microperf screens are vulnerable to moire effect (I have the Sharp XVZ-9000U DLP), especially in the size range I'm considering.

Another option is a DIY Danzian...this would keep cost incredibly low and allow a larger screen w/center channel behind it...supposedly moire effect isn't a problem with the Coated Celtic Cloth. My big concern with both SR and Danzian is the loss of light. I will have zero ambient light in the room, but I'm accustomed to the vibrancy of the Firehawk and I am worried I'll be let down with a dimmer picture.

I'm anxious to hear opinions that are specific to the challenges I'm facing. I need to make a decision soon. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I got a screen from Screen Innovations, they are suppose to be very similar to Stewart screens. I got a 110 inch screen for about $1,200 I think. It's the HCW 1.3 Reference screen. If you like the Stewarts but don't want to spend that much money to go to a larger size, you may want to look at Screen Innovations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.