AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Dell 1409x projector and want to use it by having a pull down screen over my LCD tv. I am not sure what screen to buy, 4:3 or 16:9?

It says it will handle both I believe "4:3 Native; 16:9 Capable"

I will use it playing dvd's thru ps3 and occassional hdtv.

I dont really understand what most of these numbers mean or how to apply them to my needs so I come to you all for help.

Thank you in advance, Travis

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
It is generally best to match the native aspect ratio (AR) of the projector, which in your case would indicate a 4:3 screen. Be advised, however, that most newer DVDs are in either 16:9 AR, which is the AR of HDTV, or in 2.35:1 AR, used for cinemascope movies. If you watch these wider ARs on a 4:3 screen, there will be black bars above and below the picture, just as on the old style 4:3 TV sets.

If you have access to a PC with Excel, you might want to try my Easy Calculator for Screen & Image Size (linked in my signature) to help you understand how the different ARs will project on a 4:3 screen.

The Da-Lite Model B manual pull down screen is a nice quality one. If you need to go cheaper, try Elite or Focupix. Da-Lite and Elite are both available through the AV Science Store (this forum's sponsors, linked at the top of this page). Their prices are very fair, and you can trust their guidance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.