AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing my JVC HD-350 in a 15.3 by 14.8 sized room. I am looking at 2 screen sizes both of which are 2.35:1. I would like to go with 103.1 inches wide by 43.9 inches high screen. I am also considering a 95.7 inches wide by 40.8 inches high screen. Which one would you consider to be the best for that room side ?

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Do you intend to use a lens or zoom?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be sitting back 14 ft and will be zooming. The picture is

plenty bright on a flat white wall but will be better with a screen.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
You might as well go the larger screen then.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav7ks /forum/post/16905790

I will be installing my JVC HD-350 in a 15.3 by 14.8 sized room. I am looking at 2 screen sizes both of which are 2.35:1. I would like to go with 103.1 inches wide by 43.9 inches high screen. I am also considering a 95.7 inches wide by 40.8 inches high screen. Which one would you consider to be the best for that room side ?

Can't help you in matching screen size to the room but at 14ft I'd be going for the bigger screen as well...

http://www.winebase.com.au/audio/avscrns.htm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys !

My wife thinks the larger screen is too much but I think it's not too big for a room this size. I've noticed some people are sitting 13 ft from a 120-128inch wide screen. I've purchased the larger screen and am not regretting it (even if the wife stays out of the media room)

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
In the end of the day if you take your room length and divide that by four, you have the ideal size screen hight for a given room. Often however, many think this is not tall enough.

Room Length / 4 = Sscreen Height

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/16916316

Room Length / 4 = Sscreen Height

In a rectangular room proportioned for good acoustics wouldn't Room Length/5 (or perhaps even 6) be more workable?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I don't think techniclly the room has anything to do with it. Wouldn't it be seating distance?

If I have a 20' room but my seating is at 14' I'm not gonna want a 60" high screen.

Myabe you meant seating at the back of the room, but this could be misconstrued.

Scott

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tripp /forum/post/0

In a rectangular room proportioned for good acoustics wouldn't Room Length/5 (or perhaps even 6) be more workable?

The larger the number, the smaller the screen height will be. The actual number can be anywhere between 3.68 and 5.18 and where 4 is a 'round' number somewhere in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb /forum/post/0

I don't think techniclly the room has anything to do with it. Wouldn't it be seating distance?

If I have a 20' room but my seating is at 14' I'm not gonna want a 60" high screen.

Myabe you meant seating at the back of the room, but this could be misconstrued.

Scott

The room does given that it houses the screen, seats and other gear. You can't have a screen/seating distance greater than the limits of the room, so working within the limits of the room itself will ensure everything works out. You case is an exception as 20' is HUGE, however many cases, the person asking about a screen height is asking what will work in their room and often the room is small and a pre-concieved idea of a screen may not be workable. So if you don't know what the limits are, then a simple mathematical formular can help. The beauty of this is that the larger the room, the larger the screen can be. Clearly there becomes a limit to what is actually workable in a HT with a HT projector.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I take all these formulas to be nothing more than a starting point for experimenting. In the end, the two size options you proposed aren't different enough to make a strong case for either. I ended up really far from the starting point at 11' seating distance to a 14' screen!

Enjoy your new screen! You will not regret going larger.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
It's a struggle for everyone's 1st time screen size vs room width/etc.

Without a reference to establish the "gut feel" for oneself reading all the charts/tables/calculators etc in the various online forums can really be confusing. Gosh I have endless prints of those, and still was not really confident.

Besides the factors mentioned the best advice I can give is put the PJ up and project onto wall (primed white works) to get real world feel of size(s) over viewing various material.

I did that after my purchase of a 100" diag 16 x 9 Da-lite (kept in box) and only then did it hit me to go much bigger 2.35:1/etc. I ended up paying $100 re-stocking fee for not really knowing what I really wanted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice guys !

I was stuck on the 112inch diagonal which my wife thought was too big, she preferred when I projected a 104"diagonal image. The 104" does look small for this room so I went with the larger screen.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/16919097

The larger the number, the smaller the screen height will be. The actual number can be anywhere between 3.68 and 5.18 and where 4 is a 'round' number somewhere in the middle.

How about we meet roughly in the middle then with the average of 3.68 and 5.18 which would be room length/4.4

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Tripp /forum/post/16927628

How about we meet roughly in the middle then with the average of 3.68 and 5.18 which would be room length/4.4

Sounds good to me
In this page , I've actually used 4.5.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb /forum/post/16927806

I think you guys are still mistaken. The # should be 4.45

I just rounded it up

·
Registered
285 Posts