AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the projector parts of these forums, I've been chugging along the last few years with a 50" pani plasma which I love. But of course I'm looking to go bigger, much bigger
. I rent a 1 bedroom in an apartment building that will most likely preclude me from a) mounting things into ceiling studs or b) setting up a dedicated room.

On top of that, The living room where I hope to get this in place will be much longer than it will be wide (only ~11 feet wide while it will be ~30 feet long).

Given the above dimensions and the fact that sitting 6-10 feet away probably wouldn't accommodate a 100-110" diagonal screen (7-8 ft wide) very well, I am toying with the idea of essentially dividing the room into two parts length-wise through the use of the screen and a long low media unit/furniture.

Of course this means the screen wouldn't be anywhere near a wall for mounting purposes but would just sit in front of or on top of the low, long media unit. Ideally the screen would be some type of retractable/collapsible unit so that I can still use the 50" pani as well and keep that on the media unit as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to go about securing the screen? Are there any manual pop-up screens that are secure enough to be free standing if I pop it up? Might need to look at AT material as well to allow me to keep the L/C/R speakers on the unit as well and have the screen pop up in front.

Sorry for being long-winded, would most appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks,

Rukus29

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
You can get floor mount screens, but a floor mount screen with AT fabric might be hard to find. Never have seen such an animal. Why cant you install a couple of hooks/eyes in the ceiling and hang a screen from some wires? That would only leave a couple of very small holes to patch with Spackle.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I definitely could do something like that with no issues since I can always just plug with spackle when I move out.

But I was concerned with the weight of these screens (I've never held one so have no clue how much they weigh) and the fact that regular hooks might not hold the screen securely enough, especially in combination with the weight of whatever case the screen would roll up into. Doubt hooks/eyes could hold this, no? Or did I misunderstand what you were suggesting?

FYI for anyone else as well: I don't mind a manual pop-up/down, as I am sure that is cheaper.

Thanks

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29 /forum/post/20849955

Hmm, I definitely could do something like that with no issues since I can always just plug with spackle when I move out.

But I was concerned with the weight of these screens (I've never held one so have no clue how much they weigh) and the fact that regular hooks might not hold the screen securely enough, especially in combination with the weight of whatever case the screen would roll up into. Doubt hooks/eyes could hold this, no? Or did I misunderstand what you were suggesting?

FYI for anyone else as well: I don't mind a manual pop-up/down, as I am sure that is cheaper.

Thanks

The ceiling joists should be going across the ceiling of the room. Usually 16" centers. If this is the ceiling of the top floor, the joists might be on 24" centers. Just find the nearest ceiling joist in the area that you want to divide the room and attach the hooks to the joist. Use a stud finder to located the joist. If you use hooks with a 2" or longer threaded end, they will easily support the screen.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for clarifying. I will look into this. It is generally tough to find the studs/joists in these apartment buildings since builders have resorted to using heavy coats of plaster on everything rather than just framing and drywall.

On the other hand, if there are pull down AT set-ups, can't I just flip it over and put it on the ground/media unit and pull it up? Then I can use less weight-bearing screws into the ceiling simply to support the screen material. Wonder if that is an option?

Thanks again.

·
Banned
960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29 /forum/post/20850098

Thanks for clarifying. I will look into this. It is generally tough to find the studs/joists in these apartment buildings since builders have resorted to using heavy coats of plaster on everything rather than just framing and drywall.

On the other hand, if there are pull down AT set-ups, can't I just flip it over and put it on the ground/media unit and pull it up? Then I can use less weight-bearing screws into the ceiling simply to support the screen material. Wonder if that is an option?

Thanks again.

Most manufacturers do not like the idea of pull down AT screens. The constant tugging of the screen can warp your image easily. If you use your screen often, it would happen sooner than later.

Benito

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I will post some pics of my screen. I have 15ft ceilings and the screen is a good 3 ft from the wall so it comes down in front of the TV. I used the wall/ceiling brakets and then ran cheap white chain from home depot to the screen... about 7 ft from the top and now the screen hangs in space.

Just make sure to check the joists as mine are engineered (truss style) and are 24" on center.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, after further thought I decided I need to either go a slightly smaller fixed AT screen or a pulldown/popup non-AT screen.

Rovingtraveler, would definitely appreciate some screen pics.

What are some general weight ranges for 16:9 screens from 96-110 inches in diagonal?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.