AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I am a long time user of Zoomplayer, and am having trouble getting quality audio sound while playing DVD stored on the PC. I have a professional PCI audio card that has 4 pairs of outputs (mAudio Delta 1010LT), and Pair 1 (L/R) is connected to an A/V Receiver. What I wish to do is send the L/R audio to my A/V receiver, and let my external audio equipment decode and send to the appriopriate speakers (5.1 surround).

For my test case, I have played a DVD on a standalone player, connecting L/R (white and red) to the A/V receiver and get great surround sound. But when I rip that movie to my PC, and try to play it with Zoomplayer, sending the L/R (white and red) outputs to the same inputs on the A/V receiver, the sound is nowhere near as good (center channel voicing seems to keep moving around in volume, sometimes fronts muffle speaking, etc). I have tried a few audio decoders (DScaler, FFDshow, IntervideoWinDVD), but nothing compares to what it sounds like when connected to the standalone player.

Does anyone have any recommendation on which filter to use to just pass (not process in any way) DVD audio to the A/V receiver?

Thanks!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Like servicetech said, if you are passing through L/R cables then all you are getting is 2 channels of audio and your problem is not decoders at the moment but your connection type. I am not sure how you were passing "surround sound" but at best it was Prologic II and not 5 channels of audio.

I think in order for you to get the same sound from your dvd player as your pc you need to set the output in zoom player as prologic II and they should be equal, but that is not real surround sound. If you want surround sound from an analog sound card then you need to have 6 pairs of cables connected, or just use spdif.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
On your card here http://www.m-audio.com/layout/imgvie...ta_1010_lt.jpg

You need to use the S/PDIF output which is the RED digital coax plug and connect it to a digital coax input on your receiver. The WHITE plug is S/PDIF input into your PC. If you are using the RED and WHITE connections on the digital interface cable then you are connecting both the S/PDIF input and output to analog inputs on your receiver.

Do what I just did for you and read the manual: http://www.m-audio.com/images/global...0LT-Manual.pdf

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. The problem is that I do not have SPDIF-IN on the A/V receiver (Very old Onkyo TX-SVS727).

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaTheater /forum/post/18314455

Thanks all. The problem is that I do not have SPDIF-IN on the A/V receiver (Very old Onkyo TX-SVS727).

if you can use spdif then configure the software/codec speaker configuration as prologic II

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I am now using a better audio decoder (AC3filter) which allows me to output Dolby Surround (or Proligic II) over the left and right analog channels. Its the best I can do for now, but it sounds much better!

(until I get a better A/V receiver with SPDIF)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Wow, no S/PDIF? That must be a really old receiver!

I think you've found the best solution (AC3Filter to decode and output prologic over stereo cables). But I would definitely go out and buy a cheap $100 receiver at Best Buy just to get the s/pdif. Chances are that it will sound better than your Onkyo too, simply from the advancements made in amplifier and transformer technology.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would hate to get rid of it. It is part of me.

.... but seriously, I will be looking soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts