·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi There,

Completely new to this but I have:

Marantz SR5001

Peachtree Audio iDecco

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 bookshelf speakers.

Paradigm Trio sound bar.

2 x Bose Acoustimass double cube speakers.

Does this count as 7 speakers treating the sound bar as 3?

Currently I am just running the Monitor BX2's off the iDecco which creates amazing sound from cd's and apple losless files via toslink.

I would like to set up the speakers so that they run through my Sr5001 for movies (via Sony BDPs-790)  but still keeping the Bx2's running through the iDecco just for music.

A) Is this possible as the BX2's have 2 sets of speaker connectors at the back that are joined by a removable metal plate so can I just remove the plate and connect one set of wires from the speakers to the Marantz and one to the iDecco?

B) Will the Marantz produce as good, if not better sound reproduction as the iDecco so that I can remove the iDecco all together??

C). Will this setup produce good 7.1 surround sound???

Thought I would ask before attempting anything that may damage the equipment!!

Thanks a million!!!

·
Registered
15,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7pointone  /t/1520095/help-with-set-up-please#post_24415640

Hi There,

Completely new to this but I have:

Marantz SR5001

Peachtree Audio iDecco

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 bookshelf speakers.

Paradigm Trio sound bar.

2 x Bose Acoustimass double cube speakers.

Does this count as 7 speakers treating the sound bar as 3?
If each speaker in the sound bar has its own separate connection, then yes.
Quote:
Currently I am just running the Monitor BX2's off the iDecco which creates amazing sound from cd's and apple losless files via toslink.

I would like to set up the speakers so that they run through my Sr5001 for movies (via Sony BDPs-790)  but still keeping the Bx2's running through the iDecco just for music.

A) Is this possible as the BX2's have 2 sets of speaker connectors at the back that are joined by a removable metal plate so can I just remove the plate and connect one set of wires from the speakers to the Marantz and one to the iDecco?
Unfortunately, no. Those jumpers are between the high frequency speaker drivers and the woofers. Removing them means that one connection has to provide the high audio frequencies, and the other has to provide the low frequencies. They're intended for using the speakers in what are called "biamp" or "biwire" configurations.
Quote:
B) Will the Marantz produce as good, if not better sound reproduction as the iDecco so that I can remove the iDecco all together??
Maybe. You'll have to try it to find out for sure.
Quote:
C). Will this setup produce good 7.1 surround sound???
Probably not. I don't see any mention of a subwoofer in your speaker configuration (the .1). The Paradigm soundbar has a very high low frequency limit (120Hz), so it needs to be supplemented by a quality subwoofer for you to be able to hear the lower frequencies. Also, let's just say that Bose spends most of their money on advertising, not on the quality of what they sell.

Speakers and room acoustics have by far the most effect on the quality of the sound you hear. The electronics is a distant third. In some cases, automated room equalization (like Audyssey) can compensate for infelicities in speakers and room acoustics, but the SR5001 is old enough that it doesn't provide that.

I hope these comments help a little.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, ditch the bose, buy a decent woofer, treat films and music completely separately (with my setup)

So if i get a woofer, which speakers should I get instead of the Monitors?

·
Registered
15,080 Posts
Are you using the line-level preamp inputs on your iDecco?

If so, you might consider moving that device to the SR5001.

Then here is one possible initial 5.1 speaker configuration.

1. center channel speaker: the soundbar (just the center connection)

2. left & right main speakers: existing Monitor speakers

that is: connect the SR5001 left and right preamp outputs to the iDecco's line-level inputs

3. "side" surround speakers: Bose speakers for now

4. subwoofer: none

Always set the iDecco's volume level to the same value when using the SR5001. You'll have to decide what that is, so that the fronts have the correct sound level when you adjust the volume control on the SR5001. Some stereo amps have a "home theater bypass" switch which does this for you.

When you enable bass management (set speakers to "Small" in the SR5001) without a subwoofer, the bass of the "Small" speakers gets redirected to the front left and right speakers. They're assumed to be "Full Range" so you can't use the soundbar for the front left and right speakers because the soundbar has no bass.

1st upgrade: add a quality subwoofer

2nd upgrade: add a quality center speaker (preferably a Monitor Bronze to match the fronts.)

3rd upgrade: add quality side surround speakers and move the Bose to rear surround

4th upgrade: replace the Bose speakers

Of course, you could rearrange this order if you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts