AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, quick rundown on setup. I have a set of M&K LCR 750THX mains plus the matching center 750 in the front. I have a pair of Definitive Technology ProCinema 80s and a pair of ProCinema 100s for the rear channel.

The rear channel sits about 5' above and about 2' behind the listening position. The L&R mains sit about 15 feet forward of the listening position and again about 5' above. The center channel sits about 15' forward and about 2' above.

All of this is being run from a Denon AVR4802.

The problem I'm having is that the sound is not as immersive as I would have expected. I've checked phase and everything is fine there. I'm running most of the time on the factory Home Theater THX or the Dolby Digital signal processing off the amp. I've messed with some aspects of timing via mucking around with the amp's input for speaker distance but it's still not very immersive.

Should I lower my mains off the ceiling? Would that help? Anything else I can play with?

TIA

~Sentinal

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My understanding has always been that the mains and center should be at ear level focused towards the listener while the surrounds are best 2 to 3 feet above the listening position.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a similiar issue with almost the same speaker positions. Sounds stupid but I spent $35 on the discontinued Radio Shack SPL meter. Measured each speaker and the problem went away. My M&K speakers manual explained how to do this. My wife noticed right away. Just a thought.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So basically if I drop the mains off the ceiling the situation could resolve itself? It's worth a shot. I was starting to get concerned that my mains weren't worth their weight.

I'll give it a shot. thanks

~Sentinal

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
It's a combination of what each person here has mentioned and then some. Ideally, all speakers should be the same, same brand, same timbre, same wattage. The L, C, R should be on the same plane, same alignment, (the center can be attenuated electronically), and you can tow the mains inward. As smith said bring the front stage to ear level. Try to make the speakers breath, left room behind them and away from the sides. Dolby agrees with smith to keep the surrounds above the ear level a few feet. It is best to have all speaker located the same distance from the listening area. You can compensate in your processor. 1ms for every foot. And follow Train on using a sound level meter. It will get it right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - I guess I either have to get speaker stands or get going on the long-awaited project of cutting a huge hole in my wall to stuff everything into it - flush-mount stylee.

~Sentinal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.