AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have my speakers connected as well as my xbox/ps3/pc to my new yamaha yht393bl. This is my first home theater system so I am a little confused with some settings!

I have it setup in my bedroom right now, but I still need to figure out best placement of speakers and put them on the walls. What is the best way of doing this (hooking them to the walls)? I'm not trying to get too carried away though of perfect placement because I am going to be moving out to my own house/apartment within a month or two.

I did look in the home theater setup 101 guide but I am still a bit clueless.

I figure out that I should at least set my speakers to small for this system!

How do I go about setting up the distances/levels/crossover frequency? As well as anything else I need to setup. Also what level should I set the knob on the actual sub?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Have you seen THX's recommendations for where to put speakers (there's a lot more at this link, but that's why I'm giving it to you)? http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/ or Dolby's http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html

I bet, but I can't find a picture of the back of your speakers, that there is a little key-hole. Just find some screws that fit the key-hole and hang them on the wall, unless they have a port in the rear. In that case, you'll want some mounting brackets that bring them out from the wall, at least a couple inches.

As far as setting it up, it doesn't look like you equipment includes YPAO or any other automatic set-up feature, so you'll just need a tape measure and your ears, or probably ideally a spl meter (like the $50 radioshack kind). The details are in your owners manual, I'm sure. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...e=model#tag642

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred /forum/post/19590087

Have you seen THX's recommendations for where to put speakers (there's a lot more at this link, but that's why I'm giving it to you)? http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/ or Dolby's http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html

I bet, but I can't find a picture of the back of your speakers, that there is a little key-hole. Just find some screws that fit the key-hole and hang them on the wall, unless they have a port in the rear. In that case, you'll want some mounting brackets that bring them out from the wall, at least a couple inches.

As far as setting it up, it doesn't look like you equipment includes YPAO or any other automatic set-up feature, so you'll just need a tape measure and your ears, or probably ideally a spl meter (like the $50 radioshack kind). The details are in your owners manual, I'm sure. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...e=model#tag642

looking at the manual the problem is it shows how to get to each option but it doesn't show what to set it to or reasons why for setting anything so I don't even know where to start on distances and crossover frequency etc.

I could probably get one of those spl meters if i i really need it?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Just measure the distance from each tweeter to where your head is when you watch TV. The receiver is building in time delay for speakers that are closest to your listening position, so that sounds produced in each speaker are delivered to your ears at the same time.

You'll have to experiment with the crossover; it will depend on your tastes, the frequency response of the speakers, the way the speakers are mounted, etc. If it's too low, you'll be missing some bass because the subwoofer will be only reproducing "super low" sounds, while the satellites struggle with "medium low" sounds, leaving "regular low" under-represented in overall playback... (if that makes sense). OTOH, if the crossover is set too high, you'll be able to localize the bass content - that is, you'll hear the direction the sounds are coming form, which in general you don't want for bass, since there is only one subwoofer in only one position. See, your brain and ears are bad at finding the source of low frequency sounds, and that's how you want it - but if the crossover is too high you'll hear where the sounds are coming from...

The gain setting on the sub you'll have to figure out by yourself - it works like a volume knob. I'd suggest starting in the middle somewhere, and playing a CD or movie you know well. If the bass sounds right, you're good to go.

And I don't think I'd bother with the SPL meter at this point. If you play test tones through each of the speakers and the sound the same loudness, you're good. If they're not, you'll want to adjust the individual channel levels until they sound as close to the same as possible.

The bottom line is, if you like it, it's OK. Does my description give you what you need to adjust those settings, or have I missed the point, somewhere?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
You can get a SPL meter to fine tune the speaker levels, and it might sound better as well (by how much depends), but it's also a $40-$50 investment that you won't use too often, so it's up to you.

You could always resell it after you use it, but then you'd have to buy it again if you make a major change or move. Just an FYI so you know your options.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a lot guys for the help I will give this a shot tomorrow!

Also If I wanted to just send the audio from my computer to the receiver how would i do this?

Also the receiver has that technology "Cinema DSP" Do you recommend using it or is it just a gimmick?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake /forum/post/19596420

Also If I wanted to just send the audio from my computer to the receiver how would i do this?

Also the receiver has that technology "Cinema DSP" Do you recommend using it or is it just a gimmick?

For your computer, find whichever set of ports they have in common and pick the best one. HDMI, optical, or stereo (in that order)

As far as DSPs go, my personal choice is no. You may prefer it for whatever reason. It's just a preference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts