AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Help with several pixel issues (flickering?)

354 Views 1 Reply 1 Participant Last post by  moonpuncher

Hi all,

The lobby in my building had a power outage and they could never get their LG 50" 50pc5d to turn back on.  They replaced the tv with an LED, but I've had similar issues with an old TV that were very quick fixes, so I asked them if I could have the broken one.  I didn't have to pay a dime for it.

Already, just using a can of air and wiping down all the inputs, the tv turns on and plays content! First small victory woohoo!!

However, the image has some issues and I'd like your help seeing if this is a lost cause or not.  Firstly, many of the pixels "sparkle" and "jitter" on the screen (especially noticeable during black shots).  There's also a very thin purple line down the pixels on one side of the screen (perfect vertical line).

Are these the signs of an irreparable plasma TV, or can I further get in there and clean up the components, dust them, etc, to potentially bring it back to full workmanship?

I'm no electrician.  I did the equivalent of turning it off and back on again.  It's just me and a screwdriver and a rag, so any advice is appreciated.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

Update: Since I haven't gotten any replies, I started trying some random things. I've been researching dead vs stuck pixels, and these don't appear to be either.  It appears to be a flickering (not a static color) in certain pockets of the screen (mainly the corners).

Anyway, I ran an RGB test for a while, and now I"m running a black/white "pixel jogger".  Figure I'll just do these random screen exercises until I hear from someone who knows what he's doing.

I did notice I only have these problems on parts of the screen getting a video source.  For example, if I am playing a widescreen video with black bars on the top and bottom, there won't be any flickering on those parts of the screen.

I also noticed when I ran the RGB test that the colors were perfect. I couldn't see any flickering (Though the thin line still appeared).  Yet the second I go back to The Dark Knight Rises, or even back to my WDTV interface, I see the pixels jumping around and flashing again.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.