AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a shuttle sn45g (nforce2 mobo) with an ati brand radeon 9600 pro. its been a desktop pc for a while, and i finally got an ati component adaptor to turn it into an htpc

it was running slightly old catalyst (3.9? i dunno). i moved it upstairs and plugged in the component adaptor and then into my hdtv, and changed NOTHING else (remember it was running fine as a desktop). comp gets to the Windows XP Pro screen, and then freezes. on reboot, it asks me if i want to start in safe mode, so obviously something was choking

i tried safe mode, which worked fine, uninstalled ati drivers, and then i could get to desktop just fine. downloaded latest ati drivers and installed. got past the WinXP screen, but then the whole screen turned striped green and blue

so i just finished reinstalling XP Pro from scratch. installed nforce drivers, directx9, and then the latest ATI catalysts. its freezing after the WinXP screen again (except now it reboots by itself and asks me if i want to start in safe mode).

anyone have any ideas? :p

~Zippy!

· Registered
26 Posts
I had the problem you describe, twice. The first time it was bad memory. The second time my hard drive had to be reformatted. Luckily the computer was only 3 weeks old so not much was lost.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys

i tried booting the TV on the svideo cable to the HDTV. this worked fine (except for a windows message saying that the Radeon 9600 had caused a serious error that made the comp need to reboot last time. duh). then once in windows, i plugged the dongle in. the ATI control panel recognized it and i was able to switch over to YPrB output just fine.

just to make sure, i tried to reboot one more time, with the dongle plugged in. and again the computer never made it past the Windows XP screen. it rebooted itself.

so basically, i can get into windows just fine so long as i use VGA -> Monitor, or SVideo -> TV. and once i am in Windows, i can switch over to component dongle -> TV just fine. but i cant boot with component -> dongle or else windows seems to encounter some error.

this is really frustrating, i dont want to go through the hassle of having to plug/unplug things (u cant boot to svideo when the component dongle is plugged in), going to control panel, and switching video inputs EVERY TIME I WANT TO USE MY COMPUTER :/

any more suggestions?

~Zippy!

· Registered
1,759 Posts
Try here http://forums.hexus.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Sounds to me like your power supply isn't up to task. Try unplugging things you don't need for boot up, like the floppy drive, cd rom drive and anything in the PCI slot. If this fixes your problem, upgrade your supply to Shuttles new 220 watt power supply. They developed this power supply specifically to remedy power problems with high performance video cards. I know some of the ATI pro cards were a problem.

Jon

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. i have an Achme power supply, not the apparently poorer Enhance

2. this is a 9600 pro, it doesnt require an extra power connector like the 9500, 9700, or 9800. im not sure but i dont think its a very power hungry card. the only things i have in the system are: Mobile Athlon Barton 2500, 512mb PC2700 DDR RAM, Sony 16X DVD-Rom, Floppy Drive, Maxtor slim 40gb HD, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro. seems like far from an overloaded system. the Mobile Athlon draws less power :p

3. does the component dongle even draw any appreciable power? unless it does, why does my computer boot fine without it then?

4. if the dongle is drawing so much extra power, why does the problem only occur when the computer is going into windows. the dongle displays the boot/bios screen just fine. definitely seems like a driver problem

5. further if the dongle is drawing too much power, why does it work fine if i only plug it in after the computer is on?

6. the symptoms dont strike me as a power issue. i would expect power issue to be more abrupt. instead, i get a black screen for a couple minutes, where the hard drive is working furiously (this is where it should be loading windows, but it doesnt display a loading screen as it should). again this seems more like a software issue imo

thanks for your help anyway though, i will try unplugging the DVD, floppy... as i think thats the only thing i can unplug and the comp still work :p

~Zippy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.