Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have a Sony receiver with the "Link" function that links a program source with a sound field setting. The receiver is an older STR-D990 but I think a lot of Sony receivers have this function. Anyway, the Sony documentation does a good job of telling you how to create the link, but it doesn't tell you how to get rid of it. Is there a way to do this? Or alternatively, a way to reset all the settings on the receiver?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
i think you can reset the settings on the receiver by pressing and holding thge power button for 5 seconds ( i am not completely sure but i will look the manual)

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.e
That didn't seem to do it. Any other thoughts?

My Sony receiver says to turn the unit OFF, then turn on by holding down the POWER button located on the RECEIVER for 5 seconds.

Why get rid of the link anyway? Just put it in whatever mode you want, and the receiver will remember that mode next time you use that selection (like DVD).

If you want to get rid of the links, go to the menu and turn links to OFF.

For the radio, each memory position remembers the previously used mode for that station.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I tried holding down the power button but it didn't work.

As to why I want to get rid of the link, I had played around with it a little, not realizing that the link couldn't be easily removed. Now it automatically turns dolby surround on every time I switch to the tuner and it's irritating to have to switch it off every time. However, I do like having the linking for some other program sources (like video) so I don't want to turn it off completely.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a Sony STR-DA1000 so mine may behave differently: whatever sound field is selected for a particular source is remembered next time I return to that source. For the tuner, each station programmed remembers its own soundfield setting. Does your unit not behave that way?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that's how mine behaves. What I want to do is remove the link altogether for certain sources. For example, when I select CD I automatically get a sound field, but I don't want any surround processing at all and there doesn't seem to be a way to remove the link for just that one source.

Alternatively, if I can't remove it for just one source I'd be happy to reset it altogether and start over. I do like having the link feature as I use it for the Video source.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.e
Yes, that's how mine behaves. What I want to do is remove the link altogether for certain sources. For example, when I select CD I automatically get a sound field, but I don't want any surround processing at all and there doesn't seem to be a way to remove the link for just that one source.

Alternatively, if I can't remove it for just one source I'd be happy to reset it altogether and start over. I do like having the link feature as I use it for the Video source.

For the CD link, all that I have to do is go to the 2-channel mode from say PL-2. Next time I hit the CD button, the 2-channel mode shows up.

VCR is set to PL-2 movie unless I change it.

DVD is set to Auto Select unless I change it.

Each function links into a different mode (last mode used for that function).

Is your unit different???

Then again, my unit is only 3 years old. Read your instruction manual for the reset procedure. Sometimes receivers just get goofy and need a reset!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is quite a bit older, probably about 10 years or so. The link feature only allows you to link a surround mode to a program source. Unfortunately you can't link "no surround" to a source. This unit was from back in the day when DSP was new and they were pretty giddy about it. I guess they figured you would never want it off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.