AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out the best way to go about getting DD output from my computer to my receiver. I have a PIII 500mhz Sony Vaio going to an Outlaw 1050. The existing sound card is built-in to the chassis. What is my best option? Is there a product that I can go from my existing sound card to an external DD decoder, then to the Outlaw? Last night I purchased the Hercules Game Theatre, because the tech at Best Buy said that the computer would see the card as a game card. But looking at the installation manual, it IS considered a sound board and would conflict with others. So I went no further. I am a bit gunshy on disabling the sound card and altering my computer too many more times. Each time I have, it usually is about a 2 week stress filled headache. But if it is a simple task in doing so, I would be receptive to that. I realize that disabling and adding a new card is probably my realistic choice. So any advice short of replacing the computer would be appreciated. The other hardware/software relevant items are ATI Radeon VE to NEC lt50 using ATI 4.1 (I prefer using this, as I have compared to PowerDVD. Image quality comes first)and win98se.

Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi Len.

I'm not an expert in this matter, so maybe someone else can comment too. From your description it looks like you have a motherboard with on-board sound, am I correct? I would imagine that you should have an option in the BIOS to disable on-board audio. If you do, try this option and then proceed with your Game Theter installation as if your computer didn't have any sound card at all. Then run your sound card's configuration menu and enable S/PDIF output. Connect this output to the decoder's "digital in" and you should have the DD pass through from your Game Theater to the decoder. Even if this doesn't work, it shouldn't be much of a hassle to uninstall the Hercules (Yamaha?) drivers, take out the sound card and enable on-board audio in BIOS to get back to your original configuration.

Good luck,

Leszek.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Leszek...I think I'll see what's involved with changing the bios, then I'll probably go with a separate sound card. Thanks for your ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.