AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some suggestions for sound proofing my condo.

Situation: Essentially, I live in an apartment building and have a 5.1 surround system in my living room and, you guessed it, the neighbors can hear through the wall. No complaints from people below me...yet.

Needs: Basically, I need to cover one one 6' X 10' wall with some sort of material that will block sound so the neighbors can't hear my 5.1 setup (I've already had one complaint and I haven't even put in my subwoofer yet!!!!)

Budget: I would like to not get ridiculous with this unless it is absolutely necessary. Also, I do not care what it looks like.

Thank you in advance.

:MODS: Feel free to move to more appropriate forum

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
First thought

you will probably have to eliminate the sub. Lower frequency noise is much harder to block. I know - sorry. You might add a few base shakers to your chair to compensate (feal rather than hear the sound).

Next thought - 1980s or newer condo? A lot of these have been really poorly built. It may not even have insulation in the joint wall. I would look at having the wall filled with blown-in insulation from your condo side. I would then have it covered in 5/8" sheetrock. A layer of sonopan or other similar material betweeen the existing sheetrock and the new would help quite a bit here as well.

Also, caulk all electrical boxes or other openings in the wall, and add those little thin foam electrical box insulation sheets - it can't hurt fo $1.00 or less.

Apartments/condos are difficult to deal with if sound was not an original consideration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.