AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post, so be gentle. I recently brought an VIZIO E370VA 37" HDTV, which is hooked up to the cable box, via HDMI, along with an INSIGNIA soundbar. When I first tried to connect the soundbar, to the TV with the RCA plugs that were provided, there was no sound. I then turned off the volume for the TV and connected the soundbar to the audio inputs of the cable box and got sound. Here is my issue, I am planning to purchase a blu-ray player as well as hook up my Xbox 360 via the HDMI ports on the TV,(there are 4 in total, one of them is connected to the cable box). I would like to have the sound of the Xbox and Blu-Ray, come out of the soundbar, but I am thinking that since the soundbar's audio is connected to the cable box, this might not be possible. The soundbar does not have an Optical cable nor input, all it has is an Aux Device jack and Audio In L/R inputs, which, like I said, is connected to the audio of the cable box. The TV has an SPDIF/Optical, digital audio input. What will I need to make this possible?

Thank you, in advance...

·
Registered
77 Posts
This may be a stupid question but are you sure you plugged the cables into the TV's audio output rather than input? I'm also new to this, however you should be able to connect all of your devices directly to the TV as you have done and the run the RCA cables from the tv's audio output directly to the the corresponding input on your soundbar. Also, you may check in the TV menu settings as you may have to make a selection to actually disable the tvs speakers rather than just turning the volume down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I looked at the owner's manual for your TV.

There are no analog audio outputs on that TV. The only output is the digital SPDIF output.

You have 3 options:

1. You need a new soundbar that can accept a digital input.

2. Use an HDMI switch with an analog output like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

3. Use a digital to analog converter like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Option #3 is cheap and easy.

Don't forget to buy a digital cable that goes from the TV output to the converter.

Also, keep in mind the TV digital output will only send 2 channel sound to the soundbar. Opinions vary on this site as to the difference in quality between 5.1 and 2.1 on a soundbar.

Option #2 may give you the 5.1 sound but I can't confirm that as I don't own one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.