AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved into a new place which has a very open feel to the living room and dinning room. The living room is 18' x 12' which feeds into the dining room which is 18' x 10'. Overall, I have a large room which is 18' x 22' with ceilings that go from 7' to 12' as you move closer to kitchen.

The breakdown of usage: 55% gaming (xbox 360 and playstation 3), 40% movies, tv, netflix, and 5 % steaming music through windows media center.

Since I live in an apartment, I would like to purchase something that sounds good without having to crank the volumes. Fortunately, my neighbors won't be bothered too much my space is over the garages.

I have decided to get the onkyo nr-809 for my receiver. I thought I was sold on the hsu research enthusiast 2 5.1 system about a week ago after reading the forum. Upon further research, it seems like this speaker system may be too neutral/sterile for my tastes. I'm a headphone junkie and tend to enjoy "brighter and more active" sounding phones like the high end audio technica and grado lines. I have been researching the energy speaker lines since there are some amazing deals to be had, but I'm not sure if they would be the best match for my needs.

My budget for speakers is a little under 2,000. Regardless of which direction I go on speakers, I believe I will purchase a hsu subwoofer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
I've had this setup before so I know how it sounds - Emotiva 8.3 towers - 6.3 center - and ERD-1 surrounds .

I ended up selling it all - chasing my tail as it were. Don't we all do that sometimes! Anyway I'm going back to that setup - sort of - I just bought a set of ERDs from them this morning. If I hadn't just poured large $s into my 71 Karmann Ghia motor I think I'd buy that setup again and then stop buying!

The 8.3s play loud and clear no matter the volume. Your NR809 is certified for 4 ohm speakers and the Emotiva speakers aren't hard at all to drive.

As an alternative thought you migh consider a pair of 6.2s in place of the 8.3s if you don't mind bookshelf speakers. They are very good too.

My current setup is speakers I've had for many years - Infinity IL40 towers - IL36c center - and Cascade Fives for surrounds. I'm replacing the Fives since they aren't even close to matching the rest of the decor. The IL40s are great sounding speakers but can't match the 8.3 at high volume and the 8.3 has a better (not by much) mid range. Tweeters are a push - both are good. The IL40s play lower but they are ported and interact with the room better than the sealed 8.3.

JMO...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20905430

I've had this setup before so I know how it sounds - Emotiva 8.3 towers - 6.3 center - and ERD-1 surrounds .

I ended up selling it all - chasing my tail as it were. Don't we all do that sometimes! Anyway I'm going back to that setup - sort of - I just bought a set of ERDs from them this morning. If I hadn't just poured large $s into my 71 Karmann Ghia motor I think I'd buy that setup again and then stop buying!

The 8.3s play loud and clear no matter the volume. Your NR809 is certified for 4 ohm speakers and the Emotiva speakers aren't hard at all to drive.

As an alternative thought you migh consider a pair of 6.2s in place of the 8.3s if you don't mind bookshelf speakers. They are very good too.

My current setup is speakers I've had for many years - Infinity IL40 towers - IL36c center - and Cascade Fives for surrounds. I'm replacing the Fives since they aren't even close to matching the rest of the decor. The IL40s are great sounding speakers but can't match the 8.3 at high volume and the 8.3 has a better (not by much) mid range. Tweeters are a push - both are good. The IL40s play lower but they are ported and interact with the room better than the sealed 8.3.

JMO...

Thanks for the input. I will investigate the emotiva line.

·
Registered
20,336 Posts
Focal is good for movies, games and music. The midrange and treble,

is rich and detailed. Look at the 706V for front left and right, and the

700V for the center - with the 705V for the surrounds.
http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=focal

Or get a pair of Focal towers with the center, and save up for surrounds.

Team them up with the HSU sub, and you can have a nice system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.