AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 3.1 setup (L/R = Infinity Primus P363, Center = Infinity Primus PC351, Sub = Klipsch RW-12d). Looking to expand to 5.1 and eventually 7.1. Currently I only have a 5.1 capable receiver (Denon 1713) so I'm focused on that, but will be upgrading my receiver and TV when it seems like they get hdmi 2.1 figured out a little better. I have no interest in ever going with an atmos setup with ceiling speakers.

My proposed layout is attached. I have a few questions I was hoping I could get some help with:

Due to the room, my Left Surround speaker needs to be at least 6.5 ft above the ground or I will be bumping into it constantly. I could do an in-wall speaker, but, then I'd have to do a matching in-wall speaker for my Right Surround also, and I don't really want to deal with an in-wall speaker on an exterior wall, and may not even have room due to exterior lights/etc. Additionally, because of the sloping ceiling and a kind of molding on the right side, if the right speaker is the same height as the left, it can't be more than 5" high or so. So what would be my best bet here? Something small like a Micca Covo-S pointed downward? A bigger but still thin pair of bookshelf speakers on their side, still pointed downward, like a Cambridge Audio Minx 22 (<--This is what I'm leaning towards right now)? But can bookshelf speakers be put on their side when used as surrounds? Bipole speakers with the right lower than the left? I'd prefer these speakers to be as small as possible, but a flat on wall speaker at this height would be a bad idea since it'd just be firing over my head, correct?

Additionally, if I eventually go 7.1 with rear speakers, what height should they be at? I could do in-wall speakers at a typical 4' or so off the ground. But if I want to avoid the hassle of in wall speakers, my rears would have to be at least 6.5' off the ground also. So should they match my surrounds and be pointed downward?

I'm looking to spend maybe $100-150 per speaker. More if absolutely necessary or it's small and aesthetic, less is always better.

Lastly - The house is on a slab and there's no attic in this area. For the right side I can run speaker cable under the molding under the floor-to-ceiling window to get to the surrounds. But on the left side, there's that 10' opening into the dining room, where it's also a joint (?) between carpet and linoleum. Any ideas for how to get speaker wire across that 10' gap?

Thanks,

Line Diagram Technical drawing Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
They can be placed on their side with no difficulties. Either these or the Polk OWM3 speakers would be the best for your budget.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can probably pull that carpet transition strip and run your speaker wire under it to deal with the 10' opening.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts