AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. I am looking for a pair of towers in the $1000/pair range and have come across dizzying results. I understand the options are plentiful, but therein lies the problem. I know there are other threads regarding this exact issue, but those people were looking for something different than myself.

I live in a loft apartment w/ 15ft. ceilings. Approximate size of room is 15' x 20'. Fairly open floor layout. 60% XBox or movies, 40% music. Would be running off a Onkyo HT-RC160. Having the option to bi-amp would be sweet. I would like the speakers to add a certain amount of punch to my system.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

P.S.- a funny pic for your troubles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I vote

paradigm monitor series (look for a local dealer)

Monitor Audio RS (new or used)

PSB Image T65

SaturdayAudio.com is actually having a ridiculous sale on the PSBs and MAs. I'm not affiliated with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Those PSB's are sexy.

Another issue I would like to present is the topic of used speakers. How old is too old? 5, 10, 20 years? I have to believe speaker tech. has improved over time, but to what extent? I see an awful lot of good deals on 10-20 yr. old speakers but I am unsure of the value of purchasing these. In my uninformed head, a well engineered piece is exactly that. Regardless of age. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
whatever towers you decide on, make sure there is a matching center channel speaker available so you can eventually build out to a 3.0 movie system. Adding surrounds for a 5.0 or 5.1 system is not as critical as matching the "front 3".

and that is an interesting price on the PSB T65 towers !!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Agree with inthepit with Saturdayaudio prices with PSB and Monitor Audio. AudioAdvisor also sells PSB for good prices as well. Now find a local dealer and see if these speakers are for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/18203377

Agree with inthepit with Saturdayaudio prices with PSB and Monitor Audio. AudioAdvisor also sells PSB for good prices as well. Now find a local dealer and see if these speakers are for you.

AudioAdvisor is less than 2 miles from my apartment. Maybe I should give those fellas a call. Thanks.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I would highly consider this deal. These are NHT's new (and VERY sexy) tower speakers, and they're offering a free center channel speaker if you pre-order.

Details

Pic:

PS: thanks for the pic - that's funny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts