AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new receiver and need a set of speakers to go with it. The receiver is the Pioneer 1020-k. I would like to buy a set of 4 speakers with a sub. I don't mind getting them piecemeal, but I would prefer to get all at once. I am looking for the best sound. I mainly watch movies and listen to music. I am restricted on expense, but could probably spend around $400 for the whole set. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
122 Posts
1. Not trying to rain on your parade, but to get 4 speakers and a sub you may want to consider increasing your budget. A good sub alone will cost you 400. a Home Theater in a Box is probably your only option and those won't give you the best sound - but they are much better than just the TV speakers, so its better than nothing!

2. You will probably want 5 speakers so you can have 5.1 surround sound. The center channel is very important for movies/TV.

3. Consider the Energy RC-Micro 5.1 system for $399

4. Or the Klipsch HD Theater 300 also for $399

5. Or check Craigslist or Audigon for used stuff. Edit - just read your post again. If you don't mind getting it a piece at a time as money becomes available you could start with a good set of used front mains and a center. Then add the surrounds and Sub later on. You'll end up with a much better system in the long run.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'd skip the micro speakers and start with a decent 2.1 system. I'd start with a pair a Infinity P162 bookshelves and a $200 12" subwoofer. I'm not an expert on $200 subwoofers but further research in the subwoofer section should help you find something decent.

Later when you have more money you can add a matching PC250 center and P152 bookshelves as surrounds.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19534692

I'd skip the micro speakers and start with a decent 2.1 system. I'd start with a pair a Infinity P162 bookshelves and a $200 12" subwoofer. I'm not an expert on $200 subwoofers but further research in the subwoofer section should help you find something decent.

Later when you have more money you can add a matching PC250 center and P152 bookshelves as surrounds.

Yeah - this is what I would be leaning towards. The HTIB systems are a decent step-up from TV speakers, but I think most people would be happier building a better system over time. Also, if you get the Primus 152's (bookshelves) first and use them as mains, you could get 252's (floorstanding) later on to use as mains and rotate the 152's to use as surrounds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would lke to avoid the HTIB because I just bought a brand new receiver. I like the idea of buying piece by piece. What is a good name brand for subwoofer? I have always like infinity speakers, should I go the same with the sub or does that not matter?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Infinity Primus Speakers are a good bang for your buck option. Its a good idea to match all of your speakers, but for the sub it isn't important at all. In fact, a lot of people don't. Epik, HSU, BIC are good brands.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb113 /forum/post/19535206

I would lke to avoid the HTIB because I just bought a brand new receiver. I like the idea of buying piece by piece. What is a good name brand for subwoofer? I have always like infinity speakers, should I go the same with the sub or does that not matter?

I think you'll get a lot of speaker for your dollar with Infinity Primus speakers but you won't get great bang for your dollar with an infinity sub. Really the only subwoofer choices in your price range (~$200) are Bic's F12, Dayton's SUB-120, and possibly a LAVA with an AVS member discount. I haven't heard any of them so I can't endorse one over another.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts