AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I recently got myself a pair of Kef X300a for my computer and the amazing sound it produce litterally blew me away, really got me wanting to dwell more into quality sound for my music.

I decided to do a total upgrade for my room. I will put the X300a over to my turntable and retire it current speakers. Im going to get a new speakers for my computer as I do more music listening on there

Here I am needing your help, what system should I go with. My budget is around 1500 to 2000 for everything. I'm looking for a system that deliver extremely smooth and warmth sound from it. I primary listen to OST and slow relaxing acoustic songs. I don't have a lot of high quality files on my comp so this new system need to be kind for low quality files as well, mp3 and YouTube vids. My local place recommended me this combo: Kef LS50 + Peachtree Nova 65se.

What are your thoughts ?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Are you planning 2.0? 3.1? 5.1?

LS50's are nice and well liked, but with your budget that may eliminate the funds for a subwoofer.

For a $1500 budget (not including AVR) I would think about
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 (upgradeable to Sierra 2 with kit) - $900
Rythmik 12LVR - $600

You could swap out the Sierra 1 with Philharmonitors (or other speakers). I suggested the Sierra 1 for the unique upgradeability if the bug hits you again in the future. ;)
You could swap out the Rythmik for SVS/Hsu Research/Outlaw etc. You can sometimes get package deals for buying Ascend Acoustics + Rythmik.

I think the system above may blow you away again. :cool: ;) If you need a capable AVR, I would suggest Craigslist for used AVRs. You can get some fantastic deals.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
that Peachtree Amp seems pretty expensive for what it can do. I didn't read the description carefully, but I think you can find DAC amp that is much cheaper than 800 plus dollars!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you planning 2.0? 3.1? 5.1?

LS50's are nice and well liked, but with your budget that may eliminate the funds for a subwoofer.

Just 2.0 sound since my room is quite small. I would prefer to buy new and avoid craightlist :(

that Peachtree Amp seems pretty expensive for what it can do. I didn't read the description carefully, but I think you can find DAC amp that is much cheaper than 600 plus dollars!
What DAC amp would you recommend then ??

·
Registered
332 Posts
Be sure to listen to the speakers and blind compare them against some others. I listened to the LS50's yesterday and the Cambridge S30's for $199 were decent competition for $1300 less. The LS50 is clearly a much better speaker but it can be surprising what a cheaper speaker can sometimes sound like!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be sure to listen to the speakers and blind compare them against some others. I listened to the LS50's yesterday and the Cambridge S30's for $199 were decent competition for $1300 less. The LS50 is clearly a much better speaker but it can be surprising what a cheaper speaker can sometimes sound like!
Sadly, my local shop doesn't have the LS50 available and on display :( I really wish I can hear how much better the LS50 is compare to my current X300a. But from what I heard, it is a vastly superior speakers

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just 2.0 sound since my room is quite small. I would prefer to buy new and avoid craightlist :(
To each their own. I used to (and mostly still do) prefer new over Craigslist, but I have been switching my opinion slowly. You can get some really great stuff on Craigslist and save money. AVRs tend to discount with age and unless you need a particular feature an older (1-5 year ) model will work just fine for most people. You can easily find a decent AVR for less than $300.

A lot of people like to run 2.0, but in my opinion both the X300a (58 Hz at -3 dB) and LS50 (79 Hz at -3 dB) need a paired sub. If you want something for listening without a sub, you probably want to aim for speakers that hit the mid/upper 40s (at -3 dB). Your preferences may differ. If you never plan to get a sub, then this would be suited for towers. If you plan to get a sub down the line, then I would stick with bookshelves.

+1 Your ears matter the most in audio quality since this is a subjective topic. Try and listen to everything before buying (or somewhere you can return). An In-home audition is one of the reasons I tend to recommend Internet Direct brands.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I have read nothing but glowing reviews of the KEF LS50. I still need to hear them, but I would be confident they are a fantastic choice, especially since you like the X300A.

If you are going to be listening to these at your computer in nearfield, I would recommend the NAD D3020 amp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts