AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i have one 150 w speaker is it ok to use a 1000 w amp for them? Plus im planning on getting another 150 w speaker too. If not what type of amp should i get form my two 150 w speakers?

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Just to balance the thought.....I don't agree that you'll blow the speakers with that amp.

You COULD blow them but...  I'd say it's similar to saying I have a car with 1,000 HP....  can I drive down the street to buy a loaf of bread?

Yes,  you can.  Just because the car has 1,000 HP and can perhaps go 300 MPH doesn't mean you HAVE to go 300 MPH.

Just becuse you have an amp with 1,000 watts at its fingertips, doesn't mean you can't use control and not over-crank it.

Put differently....just because it can put out 1,000 watts, doesn't mean you ever have to exceed 4 watts.  All a matter of your control of the throttle.

·
Registered
154 Posts
well, power is not the bad thing here. the bad thing is gain. i would not power those speakers with that amp, but go ahead.

personally, i would not do it because your chance of driving the speakers into distortion is very high. what speakers are they? if they are a cheaper brand then dont do it. if they are half decent i dont think it matters

1 - 5 of 5 Posts