AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All

I have had my 1121 for a while and love it but wanted to upgrade my speakers (currently some old yamaha book shelves for front left & right, in wall center and rears not sure what they are). I thought I would start with maybe a Polk CS10 for center replacement and was looking at either PIO SP-FS52-LR or Polk 65t Monitors to get me started. I was sold on the Polks until I heard the Pios and think they seem great for the price etc.

My question therefore comes down to the age old debate of 6ohm vs 8ohm (Pio vs Polk). Which setting should I set the VSX1121 to and is it ok to build a mixed ohm speaker setup like this ? I mean ideally I would go with all 1 brand and all 1 ohm rating but just don't have the money right now so starting with what I can

Thanks all

WC

·
The Village Idiot
9,681 Posts
First off I've never seen any speaker 1ohm rated. I'd leave the receiver set at 8ohms - all the 4 or 6ohm settings do is cut power to the speakers. As for the 'age old debate' - never heard of that one.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Choose based on the sound you prefer rather than the nominal impedance. People make way more of it than is sensible.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I leave the amp at 8 ohms but have a mix of 8 and 6 will that cause any issues/damage for the 6 ohm speakers ?

Thanks

·
The Village Idiot
9,681 Posts
No problem. Not all speakers even in the same brand and matching models will have the same impedance curves. The only thing to watch for is to make sure the AVR does not get too hot. If it does then use the lower impedance setting.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Knuckle and all, thanks for your replies. Looking forward to setting these up. Any tips on amp setup for these ?

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts