AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi guys, I have posted a similar thread on [H] forum, but got advised to go to a more specialized audio forum so I found this one.

Quick rundown, I am looking to build 5.1 system and found a good deal on a Lifestyle 535II locally which I asked about on a different forum. Well after 5 pages of Bose bashing I started looking in to other options. In the meantime, I have purchased this just to test it out

http://www.costco.com/Bose-Acoustimass-6-Home-Theater-System-Bundle-with-Yamaha-Receiver.product.100078817.html .

My first impressions are that it is pretty good actually, I was fairly satisfied with it for gaming with a PS4 and movie effects but I would like more presence, definition and low end grunt with a subwoofer also a bit more more detail and crispness with the speakers. I have listened the 535 Bose series at the Bose store and did not sound much different to me than my system.So if I am going to go with Bose I think $750 is where I will stop as far as purchasing. For listening to music they suck. I have a set of (2 speakers) AudioEngine A5's on my computer and I enjoy listening to music from them more than the Bose. 

Now what I really want to do:

I would rather have a 7.2 receiver with 4K and network (preferably WIFI) capabilities for future expansion, I would like a solid sub woofer, front tower speakers, a good center and surround speakers to total to a 5.1 system. I was thinking getting used B&W CM series towers, center and surround, a Denon receiver

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3000/denon-avr-x3000-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html#!more and HSU VTF15 subwoofer

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

I also thought about getting the HSU 5.1 package

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3pkg.html  

with all speakers and sub from them.

The second option will cost much much more, it will take up much much more space and it is a big deal that I have to go to craigslist and hunt for speakers for a couple months at least. 

I have also never listened to these speakers and probably will never get the chance. Can you guys give me some ideas on the strengths and weakness of this system? 

Will I be better off with 2 smaller subs? I may not have room to fit the VTF15H on my living room unfortunately. It is hard to describe but I am looking for the most defined surround effect, as far as flying bullets behind me etc... and the very low end bass, stuff that just rattles your chest, I also want the mid bass stuff like a kick drum off Michael Jackson's thriller to punch through me. 

In this case please help me compare and contrast the first option to second, as well as BW speakers versus HSU speakers ( not subs, I think I am pretty set on the HSU sub).

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
First of all, I wouldn't worry about 4k until HDMI 2.0 get implemented. If you are building your system for a 4k display, you will find the capabilities of existing receivers very limited in this regard. 4K will be a lot more sensible to pursue once HDMI 2.0 gets into receivers, which should be before the year's end.

As for the speakers, I have some of the Hsu speakers but have only heard the B&W CMs at a Bestbuy Magnolia, so I couldn't fairly compare them. All I can say is I think the B&W speakers could be a bit brighter than the Hsus, as in more forward in treble. I think either would be good. I wouldn't be surprised if more people preferred the B&Ws as they do cost quite a bit more. Either system would kill the Bose system.

As for subwoofers, Hsu makes some of the best, you can't go wrong there. As for two smaller subs, multiple subs setups do have their advantages- if you have freedom of placement. If you are very limited in where you can place multiple subs, they may not have any advantages over a single powerful sub. What multi sub systems can do if optimally placed is smooth out the bass response through out the room, so the bass sounds more even over a wider seating range. If it were me, I would go with a dual Hsu VTF2 mk4 system over a single VTF15h, but I wouldn't bother with Hsu's 10" subs. Just stick with their 12" and 15" subs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah, I need to find a place where I can listen to B&W stuff, I really like the fact that Bose speakers are so small and easy to hide, but the muddy bass that everyone is talking about is a reality and is pissing me off. So if I am returning bose and going with larger proper speakers, I may as well go all the way. 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts