AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am a home theatre newbie and have been doing some reading - but still a bit unsure. I have an open concept home. The room I am looking to put my home theatre in is 18x13 and it is open to a kitchen of the same dimensions.

I was contemplating installing the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system. Will these speakers be way too small for the area?

I am using a Denon 889 receiver and want to keep my price point less than $1000 (incl sub) for the speakers.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Do you have any installation/aesthetic concerns? Are larger bookshelf or floor standers an option? If so, you could go much further towards filling that space within your budget... something like Infinity P362 mains, PC350 center, P152 surrounds, and a BIC PA-120 subwoofer is one example of a system in your budget that would likely fill the space better AND sound better... but floor standing mains and bookshelf surrounds aren't don't fall within everyone's sense of aesthetics or WAF.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I think you want something a bit bigger, and your budget allows.

For the sub, you'll want a lot more than the Energy. Consider an Hsu STF-2 for $385 delivered. That leave $615 from your budget.

Take advantage of the Kef iQx closeout at Vanns.

The iQ1 (5.25" duo-concentric speaker, which I have for fronts in an 18x24 room) are at $200 /pair.

The iQ3 (6" duo-concentric) are $250 / pair.

The iQ2 centre (5.25", which I also have) is at $150.

You could get a pair of iQ1 for the rear and two pair of iQ3 for the fronts (sell off the extra speaker for $125 and you're back on budget),

or get 2 pairs of iQ1 and an iQ2.

But that is just pricing talk and assurance that I like them. You really should listen to speakers before you buy to be sure that YOU like them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I am definately open to larger speakers. -- I am Canadian, so I do have some problems matching prices with what you are suggesting. I don't even have an infinity dealer anywhere within 30 miles of my home. The prices on most of these speakers you mention are much higher Canada, and if I order them from online US vendors, I am subject to duty and brokerages charges, providing they even ship here.

Thank you for your suggestions though - I do appreciate them. Anyone know any good places in Southern Ontario (Niagara area) for good speakers at a decent price?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
2001 AV carries KEF; see how low you can talk them in light of the iQx line being replaced with iQx0. Check the KEF site for more options.

I ended up buying a Paradigm DSP-3100 sub. List was $569 Cdn and the two retailers in Calgary offered me 15% and 20% off, so i got it for $445. Should be lost of retailers in your area.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Why not buy a better set of mains, center or a sub and add the rest at a later date. This way you can get a better over all system that will last you for many, many years. Axiom Audio is in Ontario and you could most likely find someone nearby that could give you an audition. Check their forum for owners in the Hearing Things section and if there isn't any one on the list post about an audition or call them to see if they could contact an owner on your behalf.

You could get a pair of M22s and a VP100 right now or a pair of QS4 surrounds and add a sub when funds allow or if you prefer more HT impact and sounds great with music, M22s and a sub right now and add the rest later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts