AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a very basic home theater system. I use the Paradigm Atom v2 for my front speakers along with a cc370 v2 for my center. I am using Def Tech Promonitor 800s for my surrounds. But, my wife has said no to my current SVS 20-39CS because it is too tall and she cannot stand to look at it (go figure). So, for the sake of marital harmony, I need to replace my sub.

The system is in my living room which is part of a great room that also opens to the kitchen and stairs to the second floor. The total area is easily over 9,000 cubic feet (20 x 35 x 15 give or take) not including the kitchen or stairway and part of the second floor.

I will use the sub almost exclusively for home theater. Also, while I enjoy deep, tight bass, I will not be watching movies at anything near reference levels because I would wake my 20 month old son and my wife would kill me.

I have read great things about the Epik subs, would the Legend provide enough bass to provide a solid bottom end at normal listening levels or do I need to move up to the Empire? I am senstive to price and would like to stay near the $500 price range. I would also be curious to know of any other recommendations you may have.

If the Empire would be a dramatic difference at normal listening levels, then I might consider it or another option in that price range if you think there is a better option, to either the Empire or the Legend for that matter.

Thank you in advance for your help and have a happy holiday season.

Bill

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
My room size is a bit bigger than yours, but when you factor in all the other areas they might actually be around the same size. I guesstimate my area as being close to about 12,000 cubic feet. I myself also have 2 SVS 25-31CS's which is somewhat similar to your SVS sub, but the fact that I have 2 to your 1. About 18 months ago or so, I bought an MFW-15 and added that to my 2 SVS's. It wasn't enough, so I bought another. That wasn't enough so I bought another. That wasn't enough so I bought another. That wasn't enough so I now want to buy 2 more MFW's. Or maybe something with an 18 inch driver. Hopefully that will finally be enough.

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you can move up to the 800 ish dollar range you'll be doing a lot better.

A Hsu VTF-15h would be a good start, epik empire would be a good start, CS 18.1, eD A7s-450 or a A5-350

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.