AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very basic home theater setup and am having a problem with one or both of the following pieces: Onkyo TX-DS595 5.1 Receiver and JBL 5pc satellite speaker system, with 100 Watt powered Sub, connected to the Onkyo with the low frequency cable. The sub has a power switch on back, an adjustment knob for the sub intesity, a seletors switch for "Auto" or "On" and a green/red LED. I normally have the swithc set to Auto, and it is my understanding that the sub will detect signal from the receiver and turn itself on or off accordingly.

Possibly important facts: I just moved from a new apartment building into a home; the home is about 35 years old. Prior to moving I had no problems with the system.

Problem: I have hooked up the system as it was prior to the move. The sub is routinely making a fast popping sound, almost sounds like a machine gun! It happens when initially turning the power switch on the sub to the on position, regardless of whether the receiver is on or off. I can get the sound to stop by moving the selector swithc on the sub from Auto to On, and when returning the switch to Auto, the sound does not return immediately. But, after about 10 minutes or so it repeats the problem. In the interim, the sub operates normally whether listening to music or watching movies.

I do not know if this is "clipping" or something else. I am concerned that maybe the sub is not getting enouch power or something like that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TR

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Check your electrical service and see if the system is properly grounded either via a ground rod or wayer main pipe grounding depending on where you live, I am in the electrical contracting business and I have had several calls from my customers complaining about the same problem when they move into a new home and that the previous owners had the watermain systems replaced and most plumbing contractors don't bother connecting the ground clamp back when they perform their work. If you are not familiar with what to look for the hire an electrician to vjeck it out because 99% of the time that is the main problem with subs popping and lights dimming when you turn on your tv microwave etc. Lou

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice on the home wiring.....i dont get along too well with electricity, so I may have to find an electrician!

I have refined some of the symptoms with the sub. I can unhook the sub from the receiver completely, so no possiblilty of signal, and then power on the sub and it continues to make the machine gun like popping sound. I have tried several different power outlets, and it makes no difference.

I have searched other threads and some seem to suggest a problem with the capcitor or with the auto on / off circuit. How can I verify what the problem is and whether or not it is worth getting fixed or buying new?

thanks.

Tony

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Reeks of a grounding problem.

A very informative thread on grounding problems can be found here. Discusses lack of grounding and affects of dual grounding.

If you bring in an electrician, consider running a dedicated circuit for your HT system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks for the link to that thread......very interesting stuff.

So, if in fact the symptom I describe as machine gun like popping, is being caused by improper grounding, I should be able to plug the sub into a properly gtounded system at a friends home for instance and presuming their home is properly grounded, then the popping should not be present. I will give it a try and post the results. thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.