·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Paradigm PW2200 and I am also considering one of these:

Cerwin Vega V-125 or preferably CVT300A

Velodyne CHT15

Polk PW650

Has anyone had experience with any of these and what is your opinion.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, I would suggest one of the powered subs from SVS. They might look bulky, but you will be rewarded with bass that has both quality and quantity. In fact, a single SVS sub can equal or exceed the performance of the highly regarded Velodyne HGS-18.

I would recommend the 20-39Pci. It has true bass extension to 20 Hz, and can do it with unbeleivable spls.

James

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I you are looking for a subwoofer that has the traditional box appearance unlike the cylindrical SVS, then I would recommend the Adire Audio Dharma. Tom Noissaine has reviewed it and said it pretty much has the performance of the $2500 Velodyne HGS-15 for only about $600.

I have had experience with the driver that is being used with this subwoofer (Adire Audio Shiva). It is amazing. In my vented enclosure tuned to 21 Hz, i get max SPL at 22 Hz at 106 dB, 25 Hz at 108 dB! Not only can they pound but they are also very musical, much like the Velodynes.

James

·
Registered
272 Posts
The Pardigm is nice, but the SVS, HSU or Adire will send it scampering back across the border!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Keep the paradigm and get a Clark Platinum Tactile Transducer for your sofa. It will give you more feel from the LFE track than any subwoofer. Your Paradigm is better than any Polk anyway. I have a Paradigm Servo-15 and the clark unit for less money than the big Velodynes.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'd have to agree with some of the others. I wouldn't trade a PW2200 for any of the subs you've mentioned. I'd consider all of them a step backwards.

The Dharman recommendation is good, so are the base SVS. Hsu is good, but not the VTF2 (small step backwards again), but the VTF3 or a TN would be great. All are a small to medium step up. The SVS Plus series being the largest step up. After that you have to start going over the $1k mark.

And don't forget DIY. If you can build a box, you can do better than anything commercial for the same money.

·
Banned
806 Posts
The VTF-2 tested by Nousaine in max output mode had 109.7db's avg. output 25-63Hz

I know someone who has compared a VTF-3 side by side with a PW2200, and he assured me that it was a big step up with the VTF-3.

Don't listen to people who compare two totally different products based on specifications and tell you that "this is a step above that, which is a step above that" because sound quality is subjective (note that MAX output will not be a measure of sound quality and overall desireability, as you also have to look at pitch and tonal definition, tunefullness, skillfull design elements, aesthetics, etc).

Ultimately you will need to listen at home before making any definitive conclusions, because there are a lot of good choices out there.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for your responses.

First, The Paradigm is very good. My system: Monitor 11's, CC370, Polk RTi25 as surrounds and the PW2200. I have used the Polk's as mains just for kicks and actually thought they blended better with the PW2200.

I have also turned the sub off and used only the Monitor 11's and at least one visitor did not notice the difference.

My prior sub was a Def Technology PF15TL. Overall it had a more filling sound, often you felt it as well as hearing it.

I do not prefer just loud bass as this is usually distorted and muddy sounding. My sub volume stays at the 12 oclock posiiton.

Bob, you said it best, MAX position which is used for ratings, would not be my preference.

Again thanks to all, I will scratch my list and start over. I need to find a place to listen to SVS or HSU. Any locations in Tennessee?

·
Registered
799 Posts
You'll have to find an owner willing to demo as neither have any brick and mortar dealers. But they do both have excellent return policies, so if you can eat return shipping on one ($30-$50 I think), buy both and compare.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wonder why the Sony SA-WM40 has not become a candidate...is the Sony name a psychoacoustic stumbling block and made in China to boot! Bet you can buy five of them for less than $700! After all 298 people gave it a rating of only 4.59 out of 5! The Paradigem PW-2200 of course beat it with 4.74 o f 5 with 98 reviewers...interesting, no????????

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who participated in the reviews? I wonder how many of the 298 people also owned Bose or similar speakers and how many of the 98 reviewers owned real speakers.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by paulbehnke
Wonder why the Sony SA-WM40 has not become a candidate...is the Sony name a psychoacoustic stumbling block and made in China to boot! Bet you can buy five of them for less than $700! After all 298 people gave it a rating of only 4.59 out of 5! The Paradigem PW-2200 of course beat it with 4.74 o f 5 with 98 reviewers...interesting, no????????
No offense, Paul, but putting any stock in the ratings at Audioreview.com can cause irreversible damage to one's liver, cerebellum, and most importantly... one's wallet!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Go to Audio Review and see for yourself the type of people that participate! It will certainly cause you to wonder. I was surprised at the large number of people that "modded" the Sony, often with parts purchased from advertisers on this site...they understand what makes a woofer tick. I havebeen hunting the elusive 16 hz organ note in Saint- Saens "Organ" symphony since the early '50s when I built a huge folded horn with a sand filled baffle using large Wharfdale and Tannoy woofers...and I am receptive to listening to anything nor will I pass judgement on any of them. In fact I am tempted to try a couple of them just to see what dual woofers can do at oposite ends of the room in a push pull configuration. Another plus for them is that they are sheilded and will fit under a Large tube tv....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Bad choice of words...only an underaker would use "irreversable dammage" Ever hear of going back to square one esp the wallet which you must value more than your body parts...RELAX, life will never be long enough...

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Paul, I too have an open mind. I have owned countless receivers, several speakers, and at least a half dozen subs. I have noticed only slight differences in the receivers, mid to high end series, and usually each performed better in one area than the others but none had it all. I have found at least two sub $1,000 receivers that were better with HT than the high end ones. Speaker upgrades have generally produced the most improvement. That is why I wanted to try other subs. I have seen too many people who were impressed only with the loudness of their bass. When reading most personal reviews on a piece of equipment I also take their other components into consideration, This often reflects their sound preferences. They were not concerned with the clarity, tone or pitch as noted by Bob.

I do believe that there is a point of dimenishing return with this audio thing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Agree, let it rest! I am still thinking of playing with a couple of them for a few weeks whatcould it cost me...I have always been able to sell my older speakers at not too much of loss. In the long run nothing beats "live" music and that is getting hard to find (without some electronic help)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by paulbehnke
Go to Audio Review and see for yourself the type of people that participate! It will certainly cause you to wonder. I was surprised at the large number of people that "modded" the Sony, often with parts purchased from advertisers on this site...they understand what makes a woofer tick. I havebeen hunting the elusive 16 hz organ note in Saint- Saens "Organ" symphony since the early '50s when I built a huge folded horn with a sand filled baffle using large Wharfdale and Tannoy woofers...and I am receptive to listening to anything nor will I pass judgement on any of them. In fact I am tempted to try a couple of them just to see what dual woofers can do at oposite ends of the room in a push pull configuration. Another plus for them is that they are sheilded and will fit under a Large tube tv....
I love that composition, Paul, especially the Telarc version with Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. For the price of two of the Sonys you're getting close to an SVS 16-46 PCi in price ($649) which will do this recording some serious justice. It's tuned to 15.75 Hz so those deep pedal notes are clear, present, and maybe even a little scary. :) I'm using two of the non-powered versions of that sub and they're wunderbar with this kind of bottom dwelling music.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.