AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to replace my 5 year old sub (infinity PS-12) and I'm hoping to get something that sounds / feels much stronger. I was originally looking at the HSU VTF-15H but the footprint is too large for my area so I am now looking at either the epik empire or HSU VTF-3 MK4. Obviously both are different in cost, enclosure type, etc. but they are the same size and will fit the area.

My viewing area is in a upstairs great room (combined with kitchen) so the actual viewing area is ~ 15' x 17' but the room is ~15' x 35' with lots of openings and vaulted ceilings. Hoping to get something that will provide impact bass that can be 'felt'. I'm also open to other suggestions for make / model but looking at max of ~$1000.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrimmins /forum/post/20902471

It's time to replace my 5 year old sub (infinity PS-12) and I'm hoping to get something that sounds / feels much stronger. I was originally looking at the HSU VTF-15H but the footprint is too large for my area so I am now looking at either the epik empire or HSU VTF-3 MK4. Obviously both are different in cost, enclosure type, etc. but they are the same size and will fit the area.

My viewing area is in a upstairs great room (combined with kitchen) so the actual viewing area is ~ 15' x 17' but the room is ~15' x 35' with lots of openings and vaulted ceilings. Hoping to get something that will provide impact bass that can be 'felt'. I'm also open to other suggestions for make / model but looking at max of ~$1000.

Thanks

for a room that big you'r going to need 2 subs or 1 big powerful sub.

both options will cost you more than $1000

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrimmins
What would be a reasonable 2 sub option that would keep it in the relative range (say $1500)? Would two legends do it or would I need the likes of two empires or VTF-3 Mk4?
With that large space I would recommend 2 subs. Upping your budget from $1k to $1500 as you did is a good idea so you won't be looking to upgrade again in a few years. I'd take dual Empires in your situation for more output and better sound quality but dual VTF-3 MK4's are not too far behind in performance and have options for pretty wood veneers. The basic black of both subs are not bad looking though.

Another consideration could be Rythmik. A single FV15hp would at least equal the VTF15H in sound quality with higher output and I believe a slighly smaller footprint. If the VTF15H was only slightly too big you could look into the FV15HP. I'd still take dual Empires for slightly more though.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrimmins
What would be a reasonable 2 sub option that would keep it in the relative range (say $1500)? Would two legends do it or would I need the likes of two empires or VTF-3 Mk4?
2 EMPIRES $1737 shipped

2 eD A5-350 $1430 shipped

2 HSU VTF-3 MK4 $1600 shipped

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.