AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on the placement of my subwoofer. I've had it in the back right corner for a while which gives me lots of output, but I'm getting some big nulls that my AntiMode cant fix. Attached is a quick diagram of my room. The box in the corner is my supercube 1 in its current location. The extension in the front (top) left of the diagram is actually a hallway that goes for about 8ft then opens up to another room and a staircase (the 4 ft wall in the diagram doesn't exist). I've read that subwoofers uses the opposite corner to reinforce the bass, so since I have no front left corner, is the back right a poor starting point? Also behind the couch is a sliding glass door. This is a basement so the floors are carpet over concrete. I plan on doing a sub crawl, but I'm hoping I can get some recommendations for a starting point. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Try the sub crawl. Also you may want to look into upgrading your subwoofer or by a second identical super cube I.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru
Try the sub crawl. Also you may want to look into upgrading your subwoofer or by a second identical super cube I.
I'm planing on getting an Epik Empire as soon as I find a buyer for my SC1. I've tried the sub crawl before but but I've had a hard time making anything of it in the past. I've done some reading on the proper technique though and I'm ready to give it another go. I think finding the right source materiel is key (any recommendations?).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyela
i have an empire that rocks a 15x23 room.

one should fill a 12x16

dual legends might work too??
That's good to hear, I've been debated on whether I would get the Empire or a Rythmik FV15HP, but I've pretty much decided on the Empire at this point. I might add another Empire later if I cant get a flat enough FR from the one or need more output (this room is open to another big room).

I'm concerned about placement at this point though. I kind of thought the Antimode was going to be (nearly) a cure all, but although it took care of the peaks for the most part and did greatly improve the SQ it made the nulls a lot more noticeable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
2 empires in a 12x16!! enough said...

funny thing, one empire is enough for me. but the addiction has me wanting two sealed 12's up front by my mains?? lol.

i don't need them, i just want more.

my sub is nearfield, right behind me in the center seat.

dual legends or any dual 12's might even out the bass in your 12x16?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyela
2 empires in a 12x16!! enough said...

funny thing, one empire is enough for me. but the addiction has me wanting two sealed 12's up front by my mains?? lol.

i don't need them, i just want more.

my sub is nearfield, right behind me in the center seat.

dual legends or any dual 12's might even out the bass in your 12x16?
I'm not sure that there is such a thing as to much bass, but my room is open to another room that is about 22x12 and a staircase that opens up to pretty much the rest of the house. All that area sucks up a lot of bass. Even so I think one Empire will have me covered output wise.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwin /forum/post/20792318

I'm looking for some advice on the placement of my subwoofer. I've had it in the back right corner for a while which gives me lots of output, but I'm getting some big nulls that my AntiMode cant fix. Attached is a quick diagram of my room. The box in the corner is my supercube 1 in its current location. The extension in the front (top) left of the diagram is actually a hallway that goes for about 8ft then opens up to another room and a staircase (the 4 ft wall in the diagram doesn't exist). I've read that subwoofers uses the opposite corner to reinforce the bass, so since I have no front left corner, is the back right a poor starting point? Also behind the couch is a sliding glass door. This is a basement so the floors are carpet over concrete. I plan on doing a sub crawl, but I'm hoping I can get some recommendations for a starting point. Thanks!

Nick - does your Antimode device give you any kind of visual display of Freq Vs SPL for example? Or is it a 'black box' with little user involvement other than the option to tilt upwards 35hz or 25hz? I ask because I recently bough the Dayton Audio OmniMic audio anlayzer to 'see' what my ears are hearing. It is a great tool to measure what's happening within your room and is great at taking quick measurements for sub location optimization. It provides granular measurements (e.g. 1/24 and greater smoothing) so you can see the bass peaks and nulls and the effects of different sub placements. Having used the Omnimic to perform 99 different sub placement combinations (I'm using two Rythmik F15 subs) in two hours by saving the measurement for each spot combination, I could then recall the saved charts for analysis. I could quickly see which locations created very unsmooth responses or suffered deep nulls that I know would be next to impossible to fix. I then used a Champion vs Challenger approach for the remaining charts and settled on the one with a nice house curve rising from 100Hz as frequency dropped - as freq falls, SPL rises.

Highly recommended as it provides you with tools to get a certain job done right.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its definitely a "black box" type but DSpeaker does sell a mic kit that allows you to take measurements. I'm not sure if it comes with its own software though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts