AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just connected a Panasonic SC-HT 720 system to my Philips 34" HDTV. I connected the audio out on the tv to audio in on the reciever (which is what the instructions reccomend) I'm not getting any surrond sound thru my rear speakers. It is a combination DVD player. DVDs sound great with good surround sound. Is there a setting on the tv menu that is not set right or something else? Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
So you have no cable or satellite box, correct? How did you connect the audio out from the TV to your Panasonic? For surround sound from a 2 channel source you need to select Dolby Prologic II/x or DTS Neo on your Panasonic receiver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They gave me the wrong remote for the panasonic that doesnt operate most of the functions. I have a new one on order. Maybe I can get in to the set-up menu when i get it and solve some of my problems.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Connect your box with either digital coax, or fiber-optic which ever your htib supports

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
You need to look specifically at your TV to HTIB hookups, forget everything else.

Now what cables are you currently using? 2 RCA audio cables? If so this is a stereo setup, hence that is why you are getting Stereo sound, and not surround.

You can solve this either by

1. Using fake surround sound by having your HTIB turn the 2 stereo channels into 5.1 surround sound. The most common way to do this is to have your HTIB play in Dolby Pro Logic 2 mode. Often an HTIB will have more "fake" surround sound modses.

2. The second method is to see if your TV has a true surround output, like a digital audio output.

3. The 3rd method is to tune your TV with your satellite or TV box, which should have a digital audio output, which you then plug into your HTIB.

Your right, you will need to get into the setup of your HTIB to see if it can handle this. Many HTIBs can't deal with nuances such as these, so people buy true home theater receivers in these cases.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info. When my remote comes in I will check for these options. I have a big cabinet entertainment center that is a pain to move around, so I don't too often. Thanks again for all the info. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.