AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I bought this:  http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/dendht1513ba/denon-dht-1513ba-home-theater-system-w/boston-acoustics-speakers/1.html  

for my home theater. My layout is giving me trouble on where to place speakers. We have an L shaped couch that will be in the corner but just above the couch in the corner is our fuse box is there.

Option A: Place the speakers ear-ish (or a couple feet above) level but then I feel like it would cut off the sound from those sitting on the "side wall" or the wall at the bottom of the picture.

Option B would be to place the speaker above the fuse box about 6 1/2 feet high. I'm leaning towards that but is that going to be too high? Would I angle the speakers downward? Then if I did that, do I still place the front speakers at ear level? 

The room (in the area we are using for the theater) is about 21 feet long by 12 feet wide. 

Subwoofer is up front next to center speaker. 

*speakers are blue in picture and fuse box is red

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Don't see the picture....

You want the speakers as close to seated ear level as possible.

Surrounds its not that important as it would be for the front speakers. I would angle the surrounds to the seating area though

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks! Is it against code to run the speaker wires in the wall near the fuse box? The fuse box is actually set in the wall with a gap in front of it and then a "decorative" door covering it. There's space between the fuse box and the door (a lot of space actually) but there's an outlet, some cables and blue cords (ethernet?) in there also.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonerd12  /t/1523372/help-with-surround-sound-for-home-theater#post_24506967

Thanks! Is it against code to run the speaker wires in the wall near the fuse box? The fuse box is actually set in the wall with a gap in front of it and then a "decorative" door covering it. There's space between the fuse box and the door (a lot of space actually) but there's an outlet, some cables and blue cords (ethernet?) in there also.
I am not an electrician so I can't speak to code. I don't think it would cause any problems as my speakers were mounted above my fuse box which was on the inside the wall on the other side with only drywall in front of the back..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you. I did talk to my brother (who isn't an electrician but knows a lot about that stuff)... he said its no different than the cables being outside of the wall and the speaker wire being next to it. The cables inside are ones that do not have to be hidden (minus the fuse box but that's covered). 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts