AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new here but I have been lurking the last 48 hrs. and I'm quite sure that I've found the forum that can help me out as everyone here seems VERY knowledgeable and, even more important, seems VERY willing to assist us newbies.

Let me start by saying that I did do a search for my particular issue so as not to waste anyone's time but never found exactly what I was looking for. My rather amateurish home theater system contains the following: Samsung LNT-4061F 40 in. LCD 1080p HDTV, XBox 360, Playstation 3 and Yamaha HTR-5540 Receiver (w/5 speakers and 1 subwoofer). Everything is essentially brand new except for the receiver, which is about 4-5 yrs. old.

I'm trying to be able to get true surround sound from all of my video sources. I have a basic Direct TV box going into my tv, and I also have an indoor antenna that picks up 4-5 network broadcasting in over-the-air HD. My PS3 connects to the tv via HDMI and my XBox 360 connects to the tv via an VGA HD AV cable (to the PC in connection on the back of the tv).

On the audio side of things, I run the audio to the tv (only when watching through the indoor antenna and it's picking up HD signals), 360 and PS3 with 1 optical digital audio cable directly to the receiver. Because my receiver only has 1 optical digital audio (and 1 digital coax) plug, I have to plug/unplug the optical digital audio cable for each item I want to use. What a pain.

Here are the rear hookup diagrams for the tv and the receiver (I sure hope I'm doing this right so you guys can see what I'm talking about).

Attachment 99578

Attachment 99579

Anyway, when my receiver is actually receiving (and outputting) 5.1 surround sound you can see that on the front screen of the receiver. You can also tell with the "naked" ear. What a difference. But is there a way that I can have all items attached to the receiver via some kind of adapter so that I don't have to plug/unplug each system every time I want to enjoy surround sound with each system (PS3, 360, tv)? Also, since the receiver has 1 digital coax plug that's not being used, is there some kind of adapter that would allow me to plug the optical digital audio cable into it?

Sorry for the long-winded (and somewhat childish) questions but your help is truly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Toslink (optical) to digital audio coax--

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info trekguy. So the Toslink 3 into one selector switch would allow me to plug in all 3 (TV, PS3, and XBox360) into it and then run 1 digital optical cable from the Toslink to the receiver?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem until I found a 3 to 1 toslink switch with remote. It's called IMPACT and tigerdirect.com had them for ~$60. I'm sure you can get them for cheap elsewhere though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts