AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few parts to start my first htpc, but I am almost completely clueless about how to complete my parts list and where to start. I'm a tech guy. I've built dozens of computer from scratch and repaired hundreds. I support windows and linux boxes all day long at my day job.

I feel stupid right now.

To the point: I want to build a myth box to store my ripped dvds, some home movies, and a few thousand mp3s. I don't need pvr stuff out the gate, but I'd like the ability to add it later. I want the whole thing to run by remote...no keyboard and mouse. I have an extremely tight budget. HD and SD quality don't matter...the two year old doesn't care, and neither do I.

I've got an antec aria case. I'm planning on buying the least expensive cpu/mobo/ram combo I can find (something like a socket 939 semperon with 512 MB of RAM). I have an ATI all in wonder, but I am obviously not planning on using it in my myth box (it's not supported, right?).

The questions:

The mobo will have onboard video. what is the least expensive way to get tv out? Do I need to buy a discrete video card? Like I said, I won't need a tuner right away, but would a capture card be the cheapest way to get tv out?

What kind of remote should I get? (easiest to use with myth)

I'd like to get a head start on ripping the dvds...what's the best format (divx, xvid...?) Any nline info on optimal encoding?

Any other basics I should consider?

Thanks

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameat /forum/post/0

I've got a few parts to start my first htpc, but I am almost completely clueless about how to complete my parts list and where to start. I'm a tech guy. I've built dozens of computer from scratch and repaired hundreds. I support windows and linux boxes all day long at my day job.

I feel stupid right now.

To the point: I want to build a myth box to store my ripped dvds, some home movies, and a few thousand mp3s. I don't need pvr stuff out the gate, but I'd like the ability to add it later. I want the whole thing to run by remote...no keyboard and mouse. I have an extremely tight budget. HD and SD quality don't matter...the two year old doesn't care, and neither do I.

I've got an antec aria case. I'm planning on buying the least expensive cpu/mobo/ram combo I can find (something like a socket 939 semperon with 512 MB of RAM). I have an ATI all in wonder, but I am obviously not planning on using it in my myth box (it's not supported, right?).

The questions:

The mobo will have onboard video. what is the least expensive way to get tv out? Do I need to buy a discrete video card? Like I said, I won't need a tuner right away, but would a capture card be the cheapest way to get tv out?

What kind of remote should I get? (easiest to use with myth)

I'd like to get a head start on ripping the dvds...what's the best format (divx, xvid...?) Any nline info on optimal encoding?

Any other basics I should consider?

Thanks

That case makes a nice mythtv HD frontend.

Checkout this site. KnoppMyth

Lots of info about systems and mythtv configuration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put together the following list of parts. Let me know if there are any pitfalls. This is a combined fe/be.

Antec Aria

20 to 24 pin psu adapter

biostar tforce6100

semperon 2800

512 MB of cheap ram

ASUS EN6200TC 512/TD/256M GeForce 6200TC 256M (has composite out)

Wd 120 GB

Older NEC dvd burner

zapstream remote

stereo to rca audio adapter

Not looking for great power or the ultimate in quality...this is really just a player for kids movies.

Thanks!

·
Registered
845 Posts
There are some motherboards with nvidia 6150 chipsets and TV-Out via S-Video. You can get the Hauppauge PVR-350 tuner and use its TV-Out, but I think that part of MythTV isn't well supported anymore. As far as remote, I really like the Microsoft MCE remotes, but that's just me. Re-encoding DVDs is going to take some work. I suggest you just do disk images, or at the most strip out the main movie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a lot of fun with my mythtv box.

I used an older computer with

asus a8n5x (939)

amd64 4000

2gb ram

random hdds that were on sale

x2 win TV-pvr 150's

suse 10.0

mythtv 0.20

Dlink dsm-320

After some trial and error i have gotten an extreamly stable myth box up and going. I also wanted it to be a remote as well. I use VNC to add programs that i want to record. Here is some advice that i can give that might help.

MythTV version 0.20 has a built-in UPnP-server (a so called "UPnP AV MediaServer" device), UPnP AV MediaServers is where you store and share your media from. So you can share MythTV media files to any UPnP-client (a so called "UPnP AV MediaServer ControlPoint" device) on your local-network, as long as that UPnP-client is not behind a firewall or you have opened the ports for UPnP in your firewall. That UPnP-client can then play those media files if it supports those MythTV codecs/container formats.

as you can see my favorite distro is suse. the only problem i had with it was installing the drivers for the pvr 150's in my comp there are a lot of websites for this problem.

first use yast to install mplayer and all its prerec's then compile myth from source doing this helped me a lot.

another great idea directly from the mythtv web site is to use lvm, remember to use more than 4m for your physical extent size if you are one to want to catalog shows like i have. 4m only allows for up to 1tb of a voulme group.

if you dont care for keeping the shows after you have watched them then lvm is not needed but some people have shows they would like to keep for a longer time without myth expiring them. i record in MPEG because the quality and my dlink dsm 320 plays this type better. unfortunatly it is not that good of a space saver for my hdd's. the pvr 150's encodes in this format as well saving cpu for other tasks. i have over 830gb in shows now, and i love my mythtv box. if you have any questions let me know and i will respond as quick as i can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.