AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at building a theater area in my house at the top of the upstairs landing. I can control most of the light. The room is approximately 17'6" x 15'6" x 10'. It is part of the hallway going to other bedrooms. I attaching some pics of the area. I'm trying to decide between just putting a large LCD in the room such as 70" to 80" or going with a front projector with an approximate 120" screen. The front projectors I'm considering are 1080p, 4K "enhanced", and Sony's entry level 4K VP-VW350ES. I have concerns with all the choices. The first is the LCD - I'm concerned that it will not give a theater "feel" but I do like the fact that 4K is easy to obtain and HDR; but I doubt much "wow factor." With a 1080p front projector, I"m concerned with the resolution in a room that small and on a screen that large; the other major concerned is upgrading / future proof (no 4K support) (I don't upgrade often - still using my Pioneer 6020 Kuro as my main viewing). The 1080p options are really open ended. The Epson LS10000 is my contender for the "enhanced projector." The LS10000 only real concerns are lack of 4K pixel-to-pixel mapping - again, I'm concerned with resolution of the pj in this size room (I've read several reviews that show it as not as sharp as a Sony true 4K pj). I will admit, I love the fact that the LS10000 uses the laser system for light source - low cost of ownership. Lastly, I'm considering the Sony VP-VW350ES. I do love the fact that it is a true 4K projector - no "enhancements." The two issues I have with the Sony is cost and long term ownership cost. I will admit, the Sony is really at the top of what I'm willing to pay for the theater; I'm not sure if the entry Sony is "worth it" compared say the other options which are $1000s cheaper.

Could you guys give me some thoughts on what you would recommend. I'm almost tempted to wait and see what else comes out in the next few months. My only concern is I have the wife blessing now :eek: So I don't want to wait to a point she wants to do something else with it. AND I know any announced products will be months later before the product actually is available. So now we are talking 8 months or so before a future project.

I'm really not sure the right way to layout the room. One of the 17'6" wall is also the stairs overlook and is only 4'; so this wall obviously will not be used for the screen / LCD. The opposite wall is usable at 17'6"; but the viewing distance from the screen would be less than 14'; this is my concern with using a less than 4K projector on a 120"+ screen. I can use on of the 15'6" walls which will give me longer seating distance from the screen; the only concern with this wall is I could have light bleed from the downstairs. The other 15'6" span is a half wall that only has a distance of 10'6". Attached are some room renders I did to give different perspectives of the room. The renders are 100% accurate to measurement.

Thanks for any thoughts, help,and suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
32,831 Posts
Plenty of room for a larger than 120" front projector setup. Nothing new will be coming out in the next four months. New models will be announced in September at IFA and October at CEDIA. Shipping of those new models most likely will take place in November and December. If you would like recommendations for your room as far as setup and equipment, give us a call or shoot us an email.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts