AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll keep this, as short as I can.

I've been one of those box-swapping fiends...for close to 10 years now. I wanted to try it all; and, within budget, I just about did.

Don't regret it...but I'm ready for "the change"; the time to cure the disease...simplify...and get back to listening to the music, and not the sound/system.

I've recently sold some things off...but here's where the gear currently stands. I'm a one-source, digital-only guy...and my front end, is an Auralic Aries Mini (AAM) feeding a Mytek Brooklyn. Having sold-off the pre (the excellent, Backert Labs Rhumba 1.2)...I now have an Cary SLI-80 Signature, and...my Adcom GFA-565SE power-amp. After running the Cary IA for a while...for the moment, I am using the Brooklyn to directly drive the Adcom.

I like the Cary's sound very much; but it has 2 strikes against it, in my new quest. 1) I'm partial to balanced inputs. 2) It's infinitely futzable; and I just know if I keep it...I'm gonna be a glass-rolling son of a gun ;)

After a lot of thought, these are the 2 options I've come up with...in my budget (that being, another part of my "quest". While I've spent much more in the past...I firmly believe, you can get plenty good-enough sound for less; if you just get it out of your head, more means better).

I can get an all-in-one type front-end; specifically looking, at the PS Audio DirectStream Junior (DSJ). I'd keep the 565SE (for now), and the DSJ would mean I could move the AAM and Brooklyn, on to good homes.

The other option: one of the new Hegel IAs; the H90, or preferably 190. That allows me to move the Adcom...and the Brooklyn, but...

To my knowledge...the DACs on the Hegels, don't do DSD (which is big for me). Luckily, they do decode TIDAL MQA, as that would almost surely be a deal-breaker. So my best guess is...I'd run streaming direct into the Hegel's DAC; and therefore could move the Brooklyn...but...I'd need to keep the AAM, and use it to internally decode DSD, and feed that to an analog source input on the Hegel (and, that would have to be single-ended...as the AAM only has analog RCA-out).

Plus...while I think the Hegel's new line, sounds (from reviews; and looks) absolutely fantastic; I'm not sure, I can expect the DAC section...to hold up to a Ted Smith design, like that in the DSJ.

What to do? Thoughts??

BTW...speakers are PMC Twenty5-23, FWIW.

Thanks,

·
Registered
11,617 Posts
I'd suggest the Oppo 205.

It has 768 kHz PCM and DSD 512 over USB, and MQA (Cat-6?) and the DAC is -140db or better, and has XLR.
It does 4K discs in 7.1 and Atmos too, as well as HDR and DBV.

It does it all, it has everything you need and nothing you don't...

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My thought is you only live once so why put constraints on your search like price. $2k to $4k isn't life changing money and if it gets you what you want then do it. Keep for DAC and streamer and get the Luxman IA you want or one of the others. Be happy with your purchase and don't compromise that. If you intend on keeping what you get then get what you want.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd suggest the Oppo 205.

It has 768 kHz PCM and DSD 512 over USB, and MQA (Cat-6?) and the DAC is -140db or better, and has XLR.
It does 4K discs in 7.1 and Atmos too, as well as HDR and DBV.

It does it all, it has everything you need and nothing you don't...

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
I should have mentioned; not only am I digital-only...but disc-less. A transport, is wholly wasted on the likes of me ;)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thought is you only live once so why put constraints on your search like price. $2k to $4k isn't life changing money and if it gets you what you want then do it. Keep for DAC and streamer and get the Luxman IA you want or one of the others. Be happy with your purchase and don't compromise that. If you intend on keeping what you get then get what you want.
Thanks SS; it's certainly a nice sentiment.

Others, like Tom...have said similar things: if you're going to really stick...$4/5k isn't too much, for end-game; and that you should be careful, selling yourself short...in the interest of budget...because then you're likely to slide back, and get the itch again.

And it's hard to argue with that, because I used to be...or still am...of that same mind; that same kind of thinking. But...I'm trying to flip my brain, lol.

Is anyone going to tell me...that a $4k (for the sake of this argument, I will use retail prices...as opposed to street deals) DAC/Pre; feeding a $1500 250/350 power-amp (the Adcom 565SE, is very solid BTW; a helluva bargain IMO)...driving PMC Twenty5-23s, isn't "good enough"?

Gotta break that fever, and perspective. ;) Just me; what anyone else, does with their money or approach to the hobby; is A-OK with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts