AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba D-VR3SU - that's a DVD writer and VHS recorder combo unit. I did a search on the model number and don't see it mentioned here. Perhaps it's too old/low tech for you guys. I've had it several years. I don't use it much to write DVDs and hadn't used it for quite a while, when 6 weeks ago I tried to burn a DVD from my DVR. It would start to write for a few minutes, then give me an error message that said it was going to turn itself off and to try again. That never worked, so I ignored it for a while. Yesterday, I went to copy something off onto tape and it also wouldn't work. In frustration, I took the cover and bezel off and cleaned the whole thing out with compressed air. It was very dusty inside. Miraculously, it started working once I got it all back together.

I burned a tape and a DVD and felt quite good about myself. Today, however, the DVD burner is giving me the same old message and is refusing to function. The VHS portion is still working.

So, I was wondering if any of you guys had any advice on a) how to fix it b) what burner would work as a replacement in the box or c) what I should replace it with. Budget is small, though.

TIA

LindaT.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT49 /forum/post/15441599

I have a Toshiba D-VR3SU - that's a DVD writer and VHS recorder combo unit. I did a search on the model number and don't see it mentioned here. Perhaps it's too old/low tech for you guys. I've had it several years. I don't use it much to write DVDs and hadn't used it for quite a while, when 6 weeks ago I tried to burn a DVD from my DVR. It would start to write for a few minutes, then give me an error message that said it was going to turn itself off and to try again. That never worked, so I ignored it for a while. Yesterday, I went to copy something off onto tape and it also wouldn't work. In frustration, I took the cover and bezel off and cleaned the whole thing out with compressed air. It was very dusty inside. Miraculously, it started working once I got it all back together.

I burned a tape and a DVD and felt quite good about myself. Today, however, the DVD burner is giving me the same old message and is refusing to function. The VHS portion is still working.

So, I was wondering if any of you guys had any advice on a) how to fix it b) what burner would work as a replacement in the box or c) what I should replace it with. Budget is small, though.

TIA

LindaT.

Inside the DVD drive there will be a rubber hub sitting atop the spindle that lifts, grasps and spins the DVD when it is reading, writing or finalizing. That rubber hub attracts dust, debris and oily residue that may allow the DVD to slip, resulting in errors/failures.

Jjeff has offered advice that helps determine if the rubber hub needs cleaning. Jeff suggests wetting a finger with a small amount of saliva and moistening the clear see-through area around the underside of a DVD center hole then inserting the DVD in the DVD drive. If that restores the rubber hub's ability to grip the DVD without slippage that indicates that the rubber hub needs cleaning.

There are a number posts giving detailed advice for cleaning a Panasonic DVD drive rubber hub with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. There are certain details/procedures that must be observed when performing this service and reassembling the DVD drive in a Panasonic.

As I do not own a Toshiba DVD recorder I can not give specific advice concerning opening, cleaning or reassembly of Toshiba DVD drives. Perhaps a Toshiba owner will offer helpful advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.