AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the definitive clr 2300 center and would like to stay with definitive, can you guys recommended a center that will be noticeably better. but not to crazy in price. also i will like some suggestion about maybe moving to a differnet company for a center channel, thanks

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
i have the definitive clr 2300 center and would like to stay with definitive, can you guys recommended a center that will be noticeably better. but not to crazy in price. also i will like some suggestion about maybe moving to a differnet company for a center channel, thanks
What do you have for the left and right (mains)?

Ideally you want to stay with the same manufacturer.

DT's newest centers are the 8040, 8060 amd 8080 models.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The general advice is to stay with the brand of loudspeakers you have for the center. Since I know nothing about Definitive I'll ignore that advice.

It is best to get three way center speakers with the tweeter over the midrange and then two woofers, one on each side of the tweeter midrange stack. This arrangement minimized lobbing, that is, uneven response off the horizontal axis; very uneven for a two way speaker with a tweeter surrounded by two midrange/woofers. Many speaker lines don't sell three way center channels. The center channel often seems an after thought.

Only run center speakers down to a 80Hz crossover. Almost none of them are designed to go lower than that.

I'm a fan of Revel speakers. Unfortunately I only have experience with the Ultima series which may cost more than you want to spend. The Ultima Voice is excellent, the Voice2 is to die for. That said, I would certainly try to get feedback on, or listen to the C208 or C206 (different sized woofers) from the Performa3 line or the C12 from the Concerta series. The Concerta series is being updated to the Concerta2 series. The center channel in the Concerta2 series is a two way design so I would stay away from it.

I've heard the F208's, which are the larger Performa3 floor standing models, in my house. They were excellent. The F208's also had a good write-up in Stereophile including excellent lab results, which are important. Similarly the Concerta F12 floor standing model did well in Stereophile. I've also heard the F12's in my house and they are nice. This bodes well for the center channels from these lines, but doesn't assure excellent performance. I've also heard the C52 center from the previous Performa line, It was good as well. I purchased one for one of my sons. It was new but had been at a dealer for a long time in the box. As I said, I'm a Revel fan.

You might try to get any of the center channels mentioned above used from say Audiogon. I bought both the Voice and Voice2 used on Audiogon, as well as the C52.

Revel, and its larger stable mate at Harmon International, JBL, design some excellent speakers, have great facilities for design and test, and have excellent technical credentials, just read their AES papers and Floyd Toole's book on loudspeakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts