AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Essentially you can build a frame, then staple a layer of white spandex over a layer of black spandex to the frame.
Thanks sigpig. Your directions are clear. So, dumb question 馃槄, how far do you place the screen from the wall, so you have enough space to walk behind it when needed ? like to change the speakers etc ? I'm also wondering how do I stop kids from running behind the screen. I know, that's a problem I need to deal with from time to time.

I'm guessing the distance from the screen to the wall depend on if I am using any in-wall speakers or all floor standing ones. Correct?

Registered
I've done the Spandex AT screen before. Do understand, it's a comparatively low-gain screen... somewhere between 0.6-0.7. I was quite happy when I went from the Spandex back to a vinyl screen (improved color saturation/pop, brightness, blacks, everything)... and then felt I didn't lose any of that moving to a commercial AT screen. If you're going to DIY a screen, I would at least try to use purpose-made screen material for best results. There are options that, while not quite as cheap as spandex, are still extremely affordable.

Reactions: sigpig and Wally_br

Registered
I'm with you on the biggest/best center. So, given my budget of $500-600 per speaker, if I can convince my wife to let me get a speaker the size of the Emotiva C2+ (32" x 11" x 14"), what should I go for? Still the C2+ ? I'll stick with the Monolith 365IW for the LRs
The C2+ may well be the best center for under $1K, imo.

If you want something front ported and in a nicer bamboo cabinet, there's the Ascend Sierra Horizon at $1K (skip the RAAL upgrade).

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
The C2+ may well be the best center for under $1K, imo.

If you want something front ported and in a nicer bamboo cabinet, there's the Ascend Sierra Horizon at $1K (skip the RAAL upgrade).
I'll happily go with the C2+. Don't want to spend double the money for the Horizon.

Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
I have the Monoprice THX-LCR (3x behind a 2.35:1 AT Screen) and they are phenomenal in terms of sound quality (very neutral), output (they handle as much as you can throw at them), and build quality (extremely solid). My big gripes that would point me towards recommending the THX-365IW instead are their width and dog-ear location/orientation. They take up absolutely every millimeter of space between a standard 16" OC stud cavity, meaning you're completely at the mercy of your stud locations in terms of mounting. They also don't allow the side-facing dog-ears to completely extend and grab sheetrock, leaving you with 2-4 dog-ears fully-engaged with sheetrock and the rest simply wedging into the studs. The front baffle is extremely rigid and, in practice, this hasn't been an issue in my installation but it is a poorly thought-out design. For a speaker this wide that takes up every bit of a stud cavity, they really should have used vertically-oriented rail-style mounts on the sides and regular dog-ears in the middle. Also, it's good you're already planning for proper amplification since they're 4ohm nominal and 3.2ohm min speakers... my Marantz SR6011 got hotter than normal (and it already gets pretty hot) driving them even in 4ohm mode, but the Emotiva XPA-3 I picked up for them doesn't even flinch.

While I don't think that placement would be ideal for a center speaker, I don't think it would be totally detrimental either... but I do think Zorba's recommendation of a free-standing THX-365C with some aiming towards the listening position would offer some flexibility and overall improvement. Depending on the width of your seating, you could also experiment with running a phantom center before taking the plunge on either another 365IW or a 365C. We decided to so in my brother's theater which is a similar layout and, given a fairly wide speaker placement and fairly narrow seating area (a 3-seat couch in front and 2-seat cup-holder love-seat on the second row), it worked surprisingly well. I'm not a timbre-matching fanatic as fas as center-speakers go, but I'm not a disbeliever either... from an output standpoint, I don't think the 365C will have any issue keeping up with the matching in-walls, but I don't think you can go wrong with the C2+ either.

I'd also agree with Zorba on skipping the rear surrounds due to proximity to the listening position and the potential for lobbing, as well as lowering the side surrounds... if you can't lower them enough to get the tweeter just-above ear-level, flip them upside down to get it there if you can). I'd also say that, if your image implies you're planning on going .4 Atmos with the indicated speaker locations, it's completely sub-optimal. Your front Atmos channels need to be WAY further towards the front (check the Dolby layout guides) and your rear Atmos channels should probably be closer to where the front two are indicated in your image. If you can't budge on those locations, I'd simply do .2 with the Atmos channels as far forward on the soffit as you can get them.
Stephen, Sorry, I forgot you had feedback on the atmos speaker locations too. If I move the front 2 atmos speakers off of the bulkhead on the the higher ceiling, I thought there would be sound reflections due to the sound hitting the bulkhead before it reaches the listening position. Then I realized that won't happen since the speakers won't be that high angled. Looking at the following image on Dolby's website, looking at the 45 degree angle, since the average distance from our heads to the ceiling is 5' (9' ceiling) , then the speakers need to be placed 5 feet forwards and behind from our position. Since the bulkhead isn't 10' wide, that places the front speakers at least 3-4 feet off from the bulkhead.

Registered
If you CAN get them off the bulkhead and get them near/at the Dolby-recommended angles, do so. If there's something keeping you from getting them in front of you (wiring access, etc.), then I would fall back to 5.1.2 and simply have the two speakers overhead as such:

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
If you CAN get them off the bulkhead and get them near/at the Dolby-recommended angles, do so. If there's something keeping you from getting them in front of you (wiring access, etc.), then I would fall back to 5.1.2 and simply have the two speakers overhead as such:

I believe I can get the front 2 atmos speakers off the bulk head. The builder said we can still change the final speaker positions prior to the drywall being put up. If not, I'll go with your suggestion of just 2 atmos speakers. I'm hoping that Pioneer's MCACC will set the volume levels correctly since the front two atmos speakers will be at 9' height and the rear two at 8' height (due to bulk head). I'm still gonna let the builder wire in the rear surrounds, but forgo putting in actual speakers since folks here said they are too close to the MLP and not ideal.

Thanks again.

Registered
All of the above sounds like a logical path. I don't think MCACC will have any issue with the height differences (since it has no issue with disparate distances of bed-level speakers). Depending on your seating location, I would get the rear Atmos speaker as far forward off the rear wall while still staying in/near the Dolby guidelines, just to prevent as much reflection from the rear wall as possible. If you can't some sound-absorbing panels on that rear wall that go to/near the ceiling would likely help in that regard as well as with first reflections from your other speakers as well (if room treatments are on your radar anyway).

Reactions: sigpig

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
All of the above sounds like a logical path. I don't think MCACC will have any issue with the height differences (since it has no issue with disparate distances of bed-level speakers). Depending on your seating location, I would get the rear Atmos speaker as far forward off the rear wall while still staying in/near the Dolby guidelines, just to prevent as much reflection from the rear wall as possible. If you can't some sound-absorbing panels on that rear wall that go to/near the ceiling would likely help in that regard as well as with first reflections from your other speakers as well (if room treatments are on your radar anyway).
I'll work with the builder to move the rear speakers then. I'm hoping since I'm using RSL c34e's that there will be les reflection off the backwall. The speakers have an aimable tweeter and the woofers are already angled. I just need to make sure they are placed in the ceiling with the woofers pointing towards the MLP.

I don't have any plans for room treatments as of yet, but we'll see....

Thanks

Registered
The RSLs will indeed help limit rear wall reflections, but may (or may not) also make the Dolby placement guidelines less exact since they relate to in-ceiling speakers with wide dispersion firing downward. How to quantify the best way to adapt the placement guidelines is something I can't speak to, but I'm sure those that have successfully used the RSLs in this application (which is plenty of folks) will be able to.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I wouldn't give up the fight for freestanding speakers so easily. At least get wall-mounted bookshelves on L-brackets that can be toed in and angled up or down to aim at ear level where you sit.

If you do find yourself stuck with in-walls, still no need to blow $500-600 each for them...I'd look at the 3-way Monoprice Monolith THX in-walls and not spend a penny more because it won't make much difference at all.

All you need with the subs is add a second PB1000, unless your room is huge, with high ceilings, a room below it, or opens up to a bunch of adjacent rooms. In which case a pair of PB2000 (or better, Hsu VTF-2 or 3) might be worth looking at.

And I wouldn't waste any money on external amplification, either. Won't make any difference with in-walls.
soooooooooooooooo......... something interesting happened today. I showed my wife the OP's setup from this thread (5.1.2 or 5.1.4 atmos - with couch close to the backwall) and she liked the L/R floor standing speakers 馃く. She said they probably cost $4k because she liked the look and she wasn't wrong. They are $4000+. Then she said she's ok with me getting floor standing speakers as long as they're not too ugly.

She has seen the Emotiva c2+ that you recommended, Zorba. Although at first she hated the look coz I forgot to show her the pic with the grill, my mistake 馃槄, later she said she was fine with it with the grill on.

So, now I'm in the hunt for floor standing fronts, woohoo.

I showed her the Emotiva Airmotiv T2+ with the grills on and she was like, they're ugly, but didn't say no 馃樀

The room is 22 x 21 x 9, so around 4100 - 4200 cubic feet with the door closed. The home theater is used for movies and videogames. Not much for music.

So far these are the speakers I already own for a 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 setup:

Center:
Emotiva C2+ - need to buy

Front L/R:
need to buy - budget ~ $1,000 for the pair, but can stretch if there is something close to this.

Surround L/R:
Please help me chose between these in-walls. I used both in my old house and like both.
Def Tech 5.5LCR
or
DR Hsu HIW-1

Rear Surround L/R:
probably gonna skip based on this forums' feedback, but what I have is
Def Tech 5.5LCR
or
Hsu HIW-1 (if I don't use these for the surrounds)

Atmos:
RSL c34E - 4 speakers

Subwoofers:
SVS PB 1000 Sub - currently busted. I need to get fixed. I called support and they sent me instructions to open it and check inside for something, probably a busted fuse.
NXG NX-500 Are you a human?
Polk PSW505 Polk Audio PSW505 Powered subwoofer at Crutchfield

I will use the NXG and Polk for now and swap out the Polk for the SVS once that is fixed.

Receiver:
Pioneer SC-95

Amplifier:
????????

So, if my budget is $1000 for the pair of front floor standing speakers, can you please recommend something? We don't watch movies with ear shattering sound. We want something that's clear. Sound quality is a higher priority than looks, obviously. Good looking speakers are a plus though ;).

I am not on the timber matching bandwagon. But, if you think I need to change the center Emotiva c2+ to something else to match a good pair of floor standing L/R (or if all three are part of some bundle on sale or something), then my budget is definitely higher. The center channel has to be horizontally placed on a stand or whatever, close to the floor pointed up towards the MLP.

I realize I need to upgrade the sub, but I will concentrate on the L/R speakers for now.

Here are pics of what the room will look like, from my original thread Need Advice/Feedback on my Home Theater layout . Ignore the location of the front pair of atmos speakers in the second pic. Those will move off the bulkhead onto the higher level ceiling (again based on feedback from this forum, thanks). The wall and carpet color would be very close to the pic. They are builder standard options.

Also, do I need to buy an amplifier to go along with the SC-95 to support the front stage better ? If so, please recommend a 3 or 5 channel amp, hopefully not too expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Wally

Registered
soooooooooooooooo......... something interesting happened today. I showed my wife the OP's setup from this thread (5.1.2 or 5.1.4 atmos - with couch close to the backwall) and she liked the L/R floor standing speakers 馃く. She said they probably cost $4k because she liked the look and she wasn't wrong. They are $4000+. Then she said she's ok with me getting floor standing speakers as long as they're not too ugly.

She has seen the Emotiva c2+ that you recommended, Zorba. Although at first she hated the look coz I forgot to show her the pic with the grill, my mistake 馃槄, later she said she was fine with it with the grill on.

So, now I'm in the hunt for floor standing fronts, woohoo.

I showed her the Emotiva Airmotiv T2+ with the grills on and she was like, they're ugly, but didn't say no 馃樀

The room is 22 x 21 x 9, so around 4100 - 4200 cubic feet with the door closed. The home theater is used for movies and videogames. Not much for music.

So far these are the speakers I already own for a 5.2.4 or 7.2.4 setup:

Center:
Emotiva C2+ - need to buy

Front L/R:
need to buy - budget ~ $1,000 for the pair, but can stretch if there is something close to this.

Surround L/R:
Please help me chose between these in-walls. I used both in my old house and like both.
Def Tech 5.5LCR
or
DR Hsu HIW-1

Rear Surround L/R:
probably gonna skip based on this forums' feedback, but what I have is
Def Tech 5.5LCR
or
Hsu HIW-1 (if I don't use these for the surrounds)

Atmos:
RSL c34E - 4 speakers

Subwoofers:
SVS PB 1000 Sub - currently busted. I need to get fixed. I called support and they sent me instructions to open it and check inside for something, probably a busted fuse.
NXG NX-500 Are you a human?
Polk PSW505 Polk Audio PSW505 Powered subwoofer at Crutchfield

I will use the NXG and Polk for now and swap out the Polk for the SVS once that is fixed.

Receiver:
Pioneer SC-95

Amplifier:
????????

So, if my budget is $1000 for the pair of front floor standing speakers, can you please recommend something? We don't watch movies with ear shattering sound. We want something that's clear. Sound quality is a higher priority than looks, obviously. Good looking speakers are a plus though ;).

I am not on the timber matching bandwagon. But, if you think I need to change the center Emotiva c2+ to something else to match a good pair of floor standing L/R (or if all three are part of some bundle on sale or something), then my budget is definitely higher. The center channel has to be horizontally placed on a stand or whatever, close to the floor pointed up towards the MLP.

I realize I need to upgrade the sub, but I will concentrate on the L/R speakers for now.

Here are pics of what the room will look like, from my original thread Need Advice/Feedback on my Home Theater layout . Ignore the location of the front pair of atmos speakers in the second pic. Those will move off the bulkhead onto the higher level ceiling (again based on feedback from this forum, thanks). The wall and carpet color would be very close to the pic. They are builder standard options.

Also, do I need to buy an amplifier to go along with the SC-95 to support the front stage better ? If so, please recommend a 3 or 5 channel amp, hopefully not too expensive.
Dude. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth: if your wife didn't throw a conniption fit at the sight of the T2s then by all means grab 'em! They're a little bit of overkill for 90% HT/TV use though, so you might consider getting the T1s instead which will be somewhat more svelte and the $300 savings could go into a second PB1000 after you get the first PB1000 fixed.

For the surrounds, I'd simply go with whatever is most cost effective. Monoprice offers an in-wall and in-ceiling series called Amber which features AMT tweeters similar to those in the Emotivas, btw and they will probably be less money too.
I'd hold off on adding any external amps until you get the speakers up and running. The SC-95 is no lightweight receiver, and as long as you're not a volume freak there is high likelihood you'll be fine with them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Dude. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth: if your wife didn't throw a conniption fit at the sight of the T2s then by all means grab 'em! They're a little bit of overkill for 90% HT/TV use though, so you might consider getting the T1s instead which will be somewhat more svelte and the $300 savings could go into a second PB1000 after you get the first PB1000 fixed.

For the surrounds, I'd simply go with whatever is most cost effective. Monoprice offers an in-wall and in-ceiling series called Amber which features AMT tweeters similar to those in the Emotivas, btw and they will probably be less money too.
I'd hold off on adding any external amps until you get the speakers up and running. The SC-95 is no lightweight receiver, and as long as you're not a volume freak there is high likelihood you'll be fine with them.
Zorba, I started going through the speaker forum for floor standing speakers and saw that you and other recommended the JBL 590 at the current sale price of $500 each.

You said that the T2+ would be a bit of an overkill for my HT/TV listening needs. Taking the sale price into consideration, what do you think about the JBL 590 for my needs ? Still overkill or worth the extra $300 over the T1+? I showed my wife the T2+ again this morning (the pic from this post The OFFICIAL Emotiva Speaker Owner's thread!) and she said they look like 馃惂penguins. She didn't like the Darth Vader look of the JBL 590 either :D. There is still hope though.

Honest question, are the Emotiva T2+ and JBL 590 geared more towards music listeners ?

Regarding the surrounds, I'm going to save my money and use either the DI 5.5 or the Hsu HIW-1 that I have.

Thanks again.

Registered
Zorba, I started going through the speaker forum for floor standing speakers and saw that you and other recommended the JBL 590 at the current sale price of $500 each.

You said that the T2+ would be a bit of an overkill for my HT/TV listening needs. Taking the sale price into consideration, what do you think about the JBL 590 for my needs ? Still overkill or worth the extra $300 over the T1+? I showed my wife the T2+ again this morning (the pic from this post The OFFICIAL Emotiva Speaker Owner's thread!) and she said they look like 馃惂penguins. She didn't like the Darth Vader look of the JBL 590 either :D. There is still hope though.

Honest question, are the Emotiva T2+ and JBL 590 geared more towards music listeners ?

Regarding the surrounds, I'm going to save my money and use either the DI 5.5 or the Hsu HIW-1 that I have.
You can't go wrong with either Emo or JBL. $700/pr for the T1+ would still be my pick if the it enables you to spring for a second PB1000, though.

Yeah by all means use one of your existing surrounds, I misread your post and thought you were going to have to buy one of them again.

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
You can't go wrong with either Emo or JBL. $700/pr for the T1+ would still be my pick if the it enables you to spring for a second PB1000, though.

Yeah by all means use one of your existing surrounds, I misread your post and thought you were going to have to buy one of them again.
ok cool thanks Zorba. Money saved is always good. I'll look into the T1+

Registered
I'd agree with spending a little less on the L/R speakers if it opens up some budget for a second sub. I'd also consider waiting to see what SVS does for Black Friday. In the past, they've brought back the PB12-NSD but I've heard that won't/can't happen this year... though maybe they'll bring back the non-pro PB2000 this time around.

Registered
Look at the Dali Oberon speakers, which look similar to the speakers your wife liked.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
Look at the Dali Oberon speakers, which look similar to the speakers your wife liked.
The Oberon 5 in white look pretty good.

Sound quality wise, if it's mostly for movies, between the emotiva T2/T2+ or the Dali Oberon 5, are they pretty even? I realize sound is in the ears of the listener.

Registered
Dali Oberon 5 review

Dali Oberon 5 Loudspeaker

As you mentioned, it's a matter of taste. They are prettier and perhaps a touch better in the music genre. For HT, the center channel of the Emotivas is the superior performer. That said, they are butt ugly and more butt ugly upon personal inspection, so you may have issues with WAF. You'll have to read that book yourself and decide how to play it.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts