AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How in the heck is this done? I am so lost. Why I cannot figure this out, I do not know.

I have an MKV file. I need to comvert it to something I can stick in Adobe Premiere Pro without re-authoring it.

Basiclally a transcode to a .TS file would work.

I'm on a PC and all of the programs I see that do this are MAC based.

People tell me, "just use VLC." Okay. HOW?!

Seriously, if anyone knows the exact procedure, please enlighten me. Googling just gives mee how to do the opposite. I need to go from an MKV to a .TS file.

Using VLC. With NO RE-AUTHORING!

An example would be those of us who took THE TERMINATOR Blu-Ray and added the mono soundtrack. We didn't touch the video (well, some did).

Normally I had help with this sort of thing, but I am on my own now and have to learn all of the bloody steps. Up to now I was given the files at the ready for Premiere Pro.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Essentially, but NOT CONVERTING. A conversion would re-author the file inside the mkv container. If I convert the file it will be useless for doing sync sound work.

I have a BD. I used MakeMKV to take the video and audio from that BD and have created a single MKV that has the movie. Inside that MKV is the exact video from the BD. it hasn't been converted. MKV is just a container.

Now that container needs to be removed so I can use it in Premiere Pro. Once finished I export the project to Encore and go from there. I avoid re-authoring along the way and do not lose video quality.

I just downloaded tsMuxer.

So I guess my question is, for OUTPUT, do I choose TS muxing, or M2TS muxing or Blu-ray disk or AVCHD?

Again, I need to stick it in Premiere Pro where I can sync up the mono audio from the old laserdisc and then it will all be exported to Adobe Encore to create a new BD and I avoided re-authoring the video, which is not desireable with H.264 or any other lossy codec.

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If I remember correctly, open it in tsmuxer, select the checkboxes for the streams you want to keep (video, audio, subtitles) and output using the TSmuxing radio. This will create a file containing the streams you selected inside a .ts container.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you believe I posted this question in four different forum and received four different answers?!

Adobe needs to get their rear in gear and support mkv's because it is the most popular video format online, by far.

I'm still stumped.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried the TS output, but Premiere Pro cannot see the file. It's not recognized.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Googled Premier Pro supported formats and found these links

Premier Pro CS4 http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/supported-file-formats-premiere-pro.html

Premier Pro CS5-6 http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/transferring-importing-files.html

It appears that Premier Pro supports blu ray AVC in a m2ts container? I would try that option in TSMuxer.

Also, if the bluray you're working with has VC-1 video instead of AVC, it may not work in Premier Pro

Edit: FYI, I just checked what the output of the AVDHD Disk option was and it creates a BDMV folder which has a 'stream' sub-folder containing a .m2ts file.

The demux option will give you a raw .264 file, don't know if Premier can import that or not.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The BD is not VC-1. I can actually put the m2ts in Premiere Pro, but it bogs down so bad I can't edit or sync the sound because the system is constantly freezing. this has never happened to me before and I have edited lots of 1080p material before.

Right now I am having Premiere Pro render the video. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Naturally I don't know what that will do for the chain I want to use in creating this thing, but of import is being able to sync the bloody sound. Without that, I have nothing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts