AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read about others having this problem, but nothing recent on site: PLease Help.

I had the 1TB WD set up and woking on an older Scientific Atlanta 8300, then had a problem and just got a new SA 8300 last week and cannot get the WD DVR expander to work with it.

I called WD and they did sent another brand new unit out, and that doesnt work either. I called Milwaukee Time Warner and they said that none of the eSATA outputs are active and they didn't support 3rd party products etc, etc. TW says that I was lucky the eSATA port was working on the old unit as they should all be inactive. It was a frustrating call

Any suggestions?

I have tried cycling and plugging and unplugging cables, although maybe not at the best time in the cycling?

Or do I change to AT&T or get a different DVR Exander?

Thanks, in advance, for any help....VERY frustrating

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaven2 /forum/post/18130021

I have read about others having this problem, but nothing recent on site: PLease Help.

I had the 1TB WD set up and woking on an older Scientific Atlanta 8300, then had a problem and just got a new SA 8300 last week and cannot get the WD DVR expander to work with it.

I called WD and they did sent another brand new unit out, and that doesnt work either. I called Milwaukee Time Warner and they said that none of the eSATA outputs are active and they didn't support 3rd party products etc, etc. TW says that I was lucky the eSATA port was working on the old unit as they should all be inactive. It was a frustrating call

Any suggestions?

I have tried cycling and plugging and unplugging cables, although maybe not at the best time in the cycling?

Or do I change to AT&T or get a different DVR Exander?

Thanks, in advance, for any help....VERY frustrating

I posted here - link .

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks to this post I am up and running.

I just received a WD 1TB DVR Expander for my SA8300HD.

I followed the install instructions, but the expander was not recognized by the DVR. I tried the troubleshooting instructions with no luck.

I had already reviewed this post so I was ready to try a few things. After the first install I pulled the SATA plug out of the DVR and put it back. The picture froze for a few seconds, sound continued, but it went back to working normally. My DVR stayed at 77% where it been at the start.

I tried the 'push the power button for 10 seconds' to start a reboot, and that did nothing out of the ordinary. No reboot, just power off or on.

After seeing no improvement on the troubleshooting instructions I tried pulling the SATA plug again, and this time it worked. I received a message asking to format the expander. I responded and the message went away. I was thinking that formatting 1TB would take a little time, but the picture on the TV restored immediately.

I checked the DVR and I am now at 11%.

Hope this may help others.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Glad you are up and running.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
I seem to be running all right, but I have a question.

From reading it seems that if the SATA cable gets disconnected you lose any programming that is on the expander.

I live in an area that has many lightning storms and often has heavy snows in the winter, that means that have power outages is not that uncommon.

Does a power outage (short or extended) cause loss of all that's on the expander?

I think having the extra space is great, but if it is so fragile an enironment I would be disappointed.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.