AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just picked up a pair of old 3-way pioneer floor speakers, and was wondering what receiver would go good with these. They're rated at 150 watts each, I don't have the model number with me at the moment because I'm not at home, but can get it later if needed. I'm looking for a not so expensive receiver to hook up to my ipod, play some cds, and possibly hook up to my hdtv/ps3 in the future. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchies0 /forum/post/16904622

Hey everyone, I just picked up a pair of old 3-way pioneer floor speakers, and was wondering what receiver would go good with these. They're rated at 150 watts each, I don't have the model number with me at the moment because I'm not at home, but can get it later if needed. I'm looking for a not so expensive receiver to hook up to my ipod, play some cds, and possibly hook up to my hdtv/ps3 in the future. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The 150 watt speaker power rating is pretty meaningless; most speakers will handle at least twice their power rating for very brief periods. You need to know their sensitivity (measured in decibels) and nominal impedance (measured in ohms). Then use this calculator to see how much power you need for normal listening:

http://www.crownaudio.com/apps_htm/d...ct-pwr-req.htm

Calculate with 90 dB SPL level to be safe, but keep in mind that dynamic peaks can increase the SPL to 100 or more and power needs will go up exponentially. Use that power number as your minimum power rating from the receiver at 8 ohms. Look for receivers that meet that power requirement with at least two channels driven (all driven is best, but not many rate that way). I doubt if those speakers will be hard to drive so you should have plenty of receivers to choose from. You will want HDMI inputs that pass audio as well as video (version 1.2 or higher should do I think). The HD lossless audio codecs from Blu-Ray players is overrated IMO but if you want that look for a receiver that decodes those as well. Personally I recommend Harman Kardon receivers because of their superior amp section, and you can get them refurbished but with a full 2 year warranty buying direct at harmanaudio.com or the H/K eBay store.

These articles will also be good reading for you:

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_A...iver_Articles/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts