AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cooking Class A/V Setup

Hi all,

I recently started my own business teaching cooking classes and I am looking to upgrade my current A/V setup. My current setup is an AKG Perception Wireless Sports Set and two mackie thump 12A speakers. We have recently moved into a new space and I would like to replace the speakers with (2) smaller wall mount speakers and possibly a lavalier mic as our current one is head-worn and sometimes gets in the way. The presenter wears the microphone throughout the class and relies on the sound system for everyone in the class to hear the instructions.

The space is roughly 35' x 20' however is not sound insulated whatsoever, the space was created with 4 walls inside of a large warehouse so please keep that in mind when providing suggestions.

With that being said, I am open to any and all suggestions however I would like to keep the budget around $500.

Any help is appreciated! Let me know if there are other questions that I can answer.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hi all,

I recently started my own business teaching cooking classes and I am looking to upgrade my current A/V setup. My current setup is an AKG Perception Wireless Sports Set and two mackie thump 12A speakers. We have recently moved into a new space and I would like to replace the speakers with (2) smaller wall mount speakers and possibly a lavalier mic as our current one is head-worn and sometimes gets in the way. The presenter wears the microphone throughout the class and relies on the sound system for everyone in the class to hear the instructions.

The space is roughly 35' x 20' however is not sound insulated whatsoever, the space was created with 4 walls inside of a large warehouse so please keep that in mind when providing suggestions.

With that being said, I am open to any and all suggestions however I would like to keep the budget around $500.

Any help is appreciated! Let me know if there are other questions that I can answer.
All good except the budget.

Lavaliers have problems in PA applications because they are so far away from the mouth, and people try to raise the gain to compensate then get into feedback.

In a space that size I'd suggest many inexpensive speakers either on the ceiling or hanging from it. Think of a speaker like a can light, with a 30 degree beam. If you wanted to light a room evenly with those, you'd need a lot of them, but none would need to be very bright. So, lots of speakers, 30 - 45 degree conical pattern, and you can run the system at a reasonably low volume, everyone will hear (because they'll have a speaker near by), the adjacent space won't hear a lot of sound from you, and you'll keep feedback to a minimum.

You don't need expensive speakers to do this, but the problem is, you'll probably want a sound pro to do the installation, as it takes a bit of planning. At a minimum, you want speakers to be no farther apart than the distance from a listener's ear to the speaker. So a 10' ceiling, that's a speaker every 6' or so. This will be a 70V distributed system, so you're not using just any old consumer speaker, each one will have a small transformer on it to take care of the power distribution. The amp doesn't have to be expensive either, there is product from Toa, which while far from anything I normally recommend, gets the job done for cheap. Ideally you'd want an equalizer in there somewhere to help make all those cheap speakers sound good. And you'd want the sound pro to set up that equalizer. I like the Behringer FBQ2496 for it's equalizer functions as well as feedback control, all in a relatively cheap box.

I pretty much shot your budget though...sorry. Good sound costs money, no way around it.

Oh, and keep the headset mic for now. Once the system is up and running, you might demo a lav, but be prepared to re-equalize with that one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts