AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello; I have both Cable TV and Satellite, and I am trying to setup multiple TV's in the house for both services. This is a crude drawing but here is my current layout:

For satellite, the line coming from outside goes into a diplexer. One end goes upstairs to a triplexer, which goes into the dual tuner satellite box, which is connected to the TV by HDMI.

The other output on the diplexer is connected straight to the coax jack on the second TV. This second TV is tuned to channel 73 and it picks up the satellite.

The main TV also gets Cable TV because there is another coax outlet in that room, though it is on the other side of the room so there a coax cable running all along the wall to the digital TV box, which is connected to the TV by HDMI.

There is also a third TV which currently gets nothing.

I hope the picture above clearly illustrates the layout.

Is there a way I can setup all 3 TV's to get both Satellite and Cable service without running extra wiring?

The main TV has boxes for both, so it seems easier there. The other TV's do not, so it just be a coax line running to them.

Ideally, if this is possible, I would like to set them up so that I can watch cable TV on them, and if I want to watch satellite I switch to channel 73 (or whatever number it is set at).

I understand that the satellite box can only run 2 TV's independently, so if I have 3 TV's then 2 of them will show the same thing. I am thinking of maybe moving the satellite box to TV2 and then having TV1 and TV3 show the same thing. If this is possible of course.

·
Registered
113 Posts
there is definitely a way to do that but can you clarify a couple things.

1 do your cables come together at a home run where the cables from each room meet, and where the satellite and cable lines enter the house

2 do you have 2 cables going to your TV1?

It looks like you have 2 cables going to your TV1, otherwise your cable co. line in skips your homerun and goes right to TV1. If it's the former, I would probably have you combine the modulated satellite signal with the cable in back at the home run. So your cable in would go to a 3 way splitter, then your satellite in would go to SAT port of the diplexer. The IN/OUT port goes to your satellite recevier, then the ANT port goes out to a 2 way splitter. TV2 and TV3 would combine a port from the diplexed 2 way, and a port from the cable co. 3 way and then the 3rd leg of the 3 way would use the second cable up to your TV1. THen set the modulator of the satellite receiver to whatever channel doesn't interfere with anything.

If your cable co. line in doesn't go to a home run, or maybe your house was cabled by dish with cable running outside the house.. In that case you can take out the jumper cable connected to the yellow TV2 port of the triplexer and put in a splitter with one port from the TV2 out and the other port being the cable line, and the single port going into the triplexer.

I hope that wasn't too jibberish but it seems like you understand enough. If you need a diagram it will have to wait since I"m off to work now

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help acesat. To answer your questions, yes there is a utility room in the basement where satellite and cable lines enter the house. From there, they go to the rooms in the house, and there 2 lines that go to the room with TV1.

The reason there are 2 there is because the builder put the outlet in the wrong spot, so they ran another line to the proper spot. The satellite is using the correct outlet but then when the cable Co. came to install, they used the other outlet and ran the wire along the baseboard to the TV. It doesn't look good so I would like to avoid using that outlet if possible.

I hope that answers your questions and clears things up a little.

The layout you described, please correct me if I am wrong, it looks like it involves using both outlets to connect to TV1. Is there a way to do it only using the one outlet?

For TV2 and TV3, what would I use to join both the satellite line coming from the diplexer and the cable line coming from the 3 way splitter?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
so I'm working a lot and my brain is ready for a vacation but here's what I thought of for a proposed solution. Unless there's an issue with backfeeding onto your cable line in, I don't see why this wouldn't work. Maybe someone on here has worked in the catv industry and could shed some light. We're using lots of splitters and double diplexing here. If you can't get your hands on a separator just unplug the tv2 jumper from the triplexer and use the triplexer like a separator. Also, I'm not sure if or how this will affect the receiver so.... caveat lector

edit: i keep changing the picture

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry it took so long to respond, but I really appreciate this.

A question regarding the splitters used here. Are they bi-directional? Because I went to an electronics store but they didn't seem to have much. They had splitters but they said that they only work as splitters, not combiners.

Can you show me an example of what type of splitter would be required?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use these ( http://amzn.com/B0036USDLO ) commscope splitters. I'm sure a retail store is probably going to sell RCA splitters which should be fine also. Remember I'm not a catv guy so I'm not aware of possible consequences of backfeeding signal to the tap. As I said, caveat lector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts