AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I wanted to say this is a great forum. The problem is I've been reading for a few days now, and it has become obvious how much I don't know about HT.

I'm needing some basic help that most of you would write off as elementary, so please take it easy on me.

Here's what I've purchased:

LG 42LH90 TV

Oppo BDP-83 Blue Ray player

I already had the receiver which is a Yamaha HTR-5540: can't post URL yet, so please let me know if you need any additional info on this.

For speakers I have the Bose AM-10.

My question revolves around the fact that my receiver is 7+ yrs old and does not have HDMI capability. I plan to run HDMI from blue ray player to tv so I can watch tv without always having surround turned on, but I'm trying to figure out specifically how to connect the surround to the receiver. Since I don't have HDMI on the receiver, what is the next best option to get the best sound possible? Both blue ray and receiver have optical, coax and analog connections and I need help deciding which set up to use.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize if this has been addressed before.

·
Registered
22,860 Posts
Optical or coax would be best.

·
Registered
435 Posts
+1 - the Optical or COAX is your best option from the BluRay to your receiver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the quick reply!

I need to clarify something...when I said analog, I meant multi-channel analog. Also, I want to run something by you to get your opinions.

I was just reading the user manual for the oppo and it indicated if I can't use HDMI I should use multi-channel analog. I'm attaching an exerpt from the manual for you to see:

NOTE

• Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus,

Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent

through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the

same audio track will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in

their best quality, please use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles

HDMI audio (see page 13) or use the multi-channel analog outputs if you do not (see

page 14).

• Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or

optical digital audio output. To listen to SACD, please use the HDMI or analog audio

connections.

• Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVDAudio

discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen

to DVD-Audio in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.

End quote.

I am not second guessing you, but rather the manual as I've always heard analog was inferior to the other options.

Thoughts? I'm getting more confused by the minute...

·
Registered
22,860 Posts
If you want to take advantage of "hi-rez" audio, then multichannel analog audio interconnects are your only option if you don't have HDMI. You seem to have answered your own question/concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ratman,

Thanks for your help, and yes, I guess I did answer my own question.

However, when you don't know what you don't know...sometimes seeing the answer yourself isn't enough. Thank you again!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Your receiver cannot do the new audio codec's, so going with Optical or COAX is your best bet. Saves running multiple wires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marlin,

Will the Oppo not do that before sending it to the receiver? I've no idea.

Thanks

·
Registered
22,860 Posts
Not true Marlin...

The audio is decoded for hi-rez in the DVD player before it gets to the receiver as indicated in bullet #1:
Quote:
To listen to high resolution audio formats in

their best quality
, please use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles HDMI audio (see page 13) or use the multi-channel analog outputs if you do not (see page 14).

He's fine.

·
Registered
435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18272201

Not true Marlin...

The audio is decoded for hi-rez in the DVD player before it gets to the receiver as indicated in bullet #1:

He's fine.

Good point - I forgot about that.

Sorry!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you both for your help. Now, any suggestions on which wires I should buy and a good place to get them???

·
Registered
22,860 Posts
Any audio cables will work just fine. You can use three pair of red/white cables if you have them laying around. Just be sure to match each end (for each channel) correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts