AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a problem that is stumping me. I am helping my dance professor wire our new speakers. The problem is, the students frequently turn the volume up far too much and damage the speakers, which is why we're wiring them in now. We bought a Behringer MDX2600 to limit the output.

We also have an old receiver with a pretty standard array of RCA inputs and outputs. The problem I'm having is that the speakers use speaker wire outputted from the receiver and I'm a bit lost as to how to properly wire the compressor into the sequence. Right now, I just have an 1/8 inch cable wired into an RCA Y adapter so the students can use their iPods. Any ideas?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I never knew these things existed, so take this for what it's worth. But I looked at the manual and it appears that it's meant to be used with line-level signals; so you want to place it between the pre-out and outputs - which would require your receiver to have a pre-out capability (most low to mid level receivers do not have this).

Also, from what I read it's not meant to continuously limit a signal, it only handles the infrequent peaks. If a peak goes on for more than 20 ms, it cuts out the gain for 1 s. I'm not sure what the thing will do if you continually cycle that threshold.

Bottom line, this may not be the solution you're looking for.

I'm curious how this turns out, so please post the solution when you get it.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
You'd need pre-outs and main ins or pre-outs and a separate amp to make that work.

Maybe take it back and get a cheap modern receiver that has channel level adjustments and run them all down to -12 or whatever the max is. That will limit the total volume available. Some even have a max volume you can program in. Prolly find one with a dedicated ipod input too.

Or you could implement the "next time someone turns this thing up too high gets punched in the throat" policy. Works for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm gonna check, but my Pioneer VSX-1020 seems to have it if I recollect. In one of the menus you can select how many dB for the max output. Its by no means a top of the line receiver, so I assume there are a few out there with this feature.

Yup, just checked (but haven't tried it). Looks like you can select a maximum output. I see 3 choices in the manual: -20dB, -10dB, and 0dB

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
What is wrong with a discontinued 1020?

You could buy an Onkyo TX SR707, or 704...702...

They all have a "max volume" setting.

Is your "discontinued" argument why you wouldn't buy a brand new 2011 car, since they are now discontinued???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.