AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am going to begin rewiring my home, tips and tricks are welcome. I have decided to wire with Cat6 Cables, is 5 cables per location enough? Is it better to run different colors per locations or per zones? For example red, gree, blue and yellow to each location or zone1 all red, zone two all blue etc...

I want to have audio distribution, so for the speakers in the ceiling I will run audio cable, wondering if I also need to run audio cables to the wall so that I can connect them to the televisions? I was planning on using baluns for video. What gauge cable for the speakers in the ceiling and if I need to run audio cables to the wall, what gauge should I purchase?

How many RG6 should I run per location? One last question, I am still on the fence Crestron vs other DYI solutions. I thought I was going one way then felt like going the other arrg decisions lol Anyway If I decided to go crestron, should I run a dedicated cable for crestnet or can I use a cat6?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Five CAT6 and 2 Series 6 cables per location should suffice. On the CAT6, color them according to what is on the cable. You know, say yellow for component video + digital audio, blue for network, white for telephone, etc. Make sure you label all of your cables according to their locations.

I would also run a Toslink fiber from your TV set to your A/V receiver.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
If you're considering Crestron, get a Crestron-certified installer involved in the planning, if not the actual install.

Labels much more important than color. Color is for showing off your rack, mostly.

Don't forget to wire for in-wall/ceiling speakers, touchscreens, irrigation, doorbell, security cameras, security lighting, door/window contacts, garage door contacts, garage door opener control, smoke alarms, CO detectors, flood sensors (toilets, under sinks, water heater, washing machine, dishwasher), kitchen TV, intercoms, shade/shutter/curtain control, thermostats, ceiling fan control, landscape lighting control, motion sensors, front door camera, LAN, wireless access points, phone, Dish/DirectTV, humidity/temperature sensors, FM antenna, OTA antenna...

You don't get to cut drywall often - do it right.

You may want to take some time to research your options, maybe talk to an installer or 2.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think Neurorad has already touched upon a lot of possibilities for wiring. These docs will tell you what type of wiring to run for those:

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/ind...ds&showfile=64

You have to register at the site to download it, but it will give you plenty of ideas on functionality that you might need, and what wiring to run for them. Obviously, if you are going with Crestron for everything, an installer will probably spec everything out for you.

As for cat6 cable color, I ran 4 different colored wiring per zone, but since everything runs to a patch panel, and I can change things around (for example, change a cat6 jack from network to phone, or 2 cat6 jacks from network to component baluns), it will definitely come down to labeling each individual run.

For speaker wire, I just ran 14 gauge wire everywhere - I think I could have done with 16 gauge for some of the shorter runs, but it was easier to buy one gauge in bulk and go with it, rather than buying multiple gauges and trying to figure out where what goes depending on length.

--Mohit.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Do not use Cat5 or 6 as Cresnet cable.

Liberty has a control cable that will work with Crestron, Lutron, AMX and others.
http://www.libertycable.com/prod_det...?pitem=LLINX-U

1 Cresnet cable usually is not enough to prewire for todays Crestron products. Many devices are ethernet. Touch panels can require 4 Cat5.

Tell us more about your system.

How many rooms will have stereo speakers only?

How many will have a TV and stereo speakers?

How many will have a TV and surround sound speakers?

How many distributed video sources will you have?

How many local video sources?

Will you have a centralized system with a cabinet or rack?

What type of control do you want? Hand held remotes? Touchscreens?

Do you want to be able to distribute the local source to the rest of the house? What i mean is would you like a DVD player in your bedroom? And have the ability to route it to any room in the house?

When you use a term like "audio cable" you could literally be talking about 100 types of cable that are used for different applications. You should use terms like "speaker cable" or "line level" or "component video".

Some systems require you to route the speaker cable thru a keypad/volume control location. Some do not. Some require you run a control cable or a cat5 or both to the keypad and then run speaker cable to the speakers from the keypad location.

If you run a speaker cable and a cat 5 from the rack to the keypad location and then run a speaker cable from the keypad location to the speakers you will have a better chance of covering all of your bases.

What other sub systems do you plan to control? Lighting? Climate? Security? Do you plan to add things down the road? If your only after Audio Video distribution you can get a feature rich system without spending a lot of money on a control system. Crestron and similar are great but not necessary for distributed audio/video. And.. if your interested in getting your hands dirty there are plenty of robust DIY solutions available.

If you plan to invest in a Crestron system i suggest you find a system designer. It is in your best interest to hire a consultant who can tell you whats possible, how to accomplish it and what it will really cost. What you don't want to do is end up paying for Crestron hardware and having someone come out and preform basic programming that will leave you with the same features someone else got @ 1/4 the price.

I am not versed with other control products but i am with Crestron. It is possible to take 2 identical homes with the exact same Cresron products and have one be really cool and the other be really boring. Make sure your getting all of the features your paying for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts