AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got womble mpeg2vcr to edit out commercials from extracted replay mpegs. I would like to create a file that can be burned as an svcd. I tried this, and could not get it to work properly. Here is what I did:

1. Extract mpeg from replay hd.

2. edit out commercials with womble, then record as "mpeg-2 program stream" (i also tried mpeg-2 transport stream)

3. demux the audio and video

4. convert audio to 44k using tmpgenc

5. mux the streams back together

6. burn using nero

When I get to step 6, nero tells me that the stream is not svcd-compliant. I had previously burned an svcd using a process similar to the one described above, without step 2, and I got the same error. I decided to try and burn it anyways, even though it was not compliant. It was playable in my apex dvd player. When I tried this today, after using womble on the file, it would not play in my dvd player. Any suggestions? Are there settings in womble I need to change? Thanks.

edit: I just realized another difference between the 2 processes I went through. For the first vcd that I made successfully (at least successful enough to play on my dvd player), the show was originally recorded at extended quality. The show I am trying to burn to svcd now was originally recorded at medium quality. Could this be what is causing my problems? Is there a way to get around this, or can I only burn svcd's from shows recorded at extended quality?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I'm sure you saw this one by Rich A he took the Audio to 48 kHz and finished off with SpruceUp. I think audio should be 48 or you could get a Sampo DVD player with special firmware and just leave it @ 32. But if you already have it in Womble might as well make it standard...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich A
Been making "mini-dvds" for some time now using extract_rtv. I use the low quality from the replay which is actually the 1/2 D1 DVD standard with the wrong audio sampling. The audio of the mpeg is 32 kHz and most DVD authoring programs require the DVD standard of 48.

It's a very quick process if you use a good mpeg editor like the Womble Mpeg2VCR which also has an audio converter.

The work flow goes like this:

Extract the raw ReplayTV Mpeg.

Use Womble to remove commercials. (this is a frame accurate editor and also can saved the finished mpeg WITHOUT re-endering - very quick)

While in Womble de-multiplex the video from audio and use the Womble's audio editor to convert the 32 to 48 kHz. (this also is pretty quick taking about a minute or two for around 45 minutes of audio)

Don't bother multiplexing them back. Just import as assets to SpruceUp which is a DVD authoring tool that will burn DVD title sets to just about any kind of media. Beit DVD, DVD-RAM OR even CDR or CDRW.

With the edited ReplayTV mepeg you'll end up with a 45 minute "mini-dvd" that will fit nicely on a 650 Mb CDR. And the quality is about the same as a good SVCD.

This will of course play in any PC environment that has DVD player software OR even in some stand alone DVD players. That Sampo 620 is one that WILL play these CDRs with DVD title sets burned to them. I purchased my Sampo several months ago JUST for that capability.

FWIW, if you are thinking of embarking on this journey, the three resolutions available from the ReplayTV are:

Low - 352x480 @ 2 Mb/s CBR

Med - 720x480 @ 4 Mb/s CBR

High - 720x480 @ 8 Mb/s CBR

All have 32 kHz sampling for the audio which is the only thing you need to "fix" to make it DVD author-ware compatible. My guess is that if it were NOT for the 32 Khz audio, you'd be able to use the ReplayTV mpeg directly as sourcing for DVD.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, but I had already seen that post. I have tried both 44k (thats what nero tells me is required for a standard svcd), and 48k, and neither worked. I haven't gotten a hold of a copy of spruceup to play with, but I did download the sample miniDVD from vcdhelp.com, and I couldn't get it to play in my apex dvd player. I don't see any reason that a miniDVD burned from an extracted replay mpeg would be any different. I would rather not have to buy a new dvd player, even a cheap one like the sampo. I'd rather find a way to burn a standard svcd, so I can play it in my apex. I definitely do not want to have to use my computer to play back my archived shows. Can anyone help me? I know there has to be someone out there who has burned a standard svcd from an extracted replay mpeg. Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is not really that important, but I thought I'd mention it. If you notice in my first post, I have been using tmpgenc to convert the audio. The reason is that I could not get this to work in womble. Every other step is performed using womble, but I could not seem to get womble's mpeg audio editor to do this step. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
2. edit out commercials with womble, then record as "mpeg-2 program stream" (i also tried mpeg-2 transport stream)

When I get to step 6, nero tells me that the stream is not svcd-compliant. I had previously burned an svcd using a process similar to the one described above, without step 2, and I got the same error. I decided to try and burn it anyways, even though it was not compliant. It was playable in my apex dvd player. When I tried this today, after using womble on the file, it would not play in my dvd player. Any suggestions? Are there settings in womble I need to change? Thanks.
When you have selected MPEG-2 Program Stream, click on the Video button and then on the SVCD button. This changes a number of settings the match the SVCD standard. Do the same with the Audio.

Please note that this will re-encode the entire program, rather than just the edited sections. Good luck!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have heard that some people have used tmpgenc to edit out commercials, though I have not tried it. Womble supposedly works much better for this. Tmpgenc, however, is free, if I remember correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.