AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a total newbie when it comes to projectors. Currently, have an HD - RPTV, and also watch some HDTV on my computer monitor. Have been considering adding a "budget" projector to my HTPC setup (which includes MyHD). My viewing priorities are DVD, HDTV, and NTSC TV (using Dish Network), in that order.

Reading all the excitement about Infocus X1, I am thinking of taking a plunge. However, since I haven't seen it perform in person, I am a bit concerned about the PQ. While I found a couple of dealers in the area that carry X1, nobody had it in a showroom where they could demo it to me. Closest I came was an Infocus LS-110. Picture on an HD source seemed grainier than what I have seen on RPTVs and Plasma screens. That concerned me. I don't have a baseline, so I don't know what I should expect. Perhaps, the projector wasn't tuned properly, or may be I was standing too close (5-6 feet)?

The projector to screen distance in my home is going to be about 11 feet, and viewing distance about 7-8 feet. Is that too short for a projector of this type? Should I instead look at direct view HDTVs? I am aware of the ambient light issues generally associated with projectors, and I think I can get my projector room to be dark enough. My main issue is whether I would get a picture that would be comparable to RPTVs and plasmas in terms of smoothness on DVD and HDTV sources. I am willing to sacrifice the size of the picture, if that helps with PQ.

Of course, I can have answers to most of my questions if I could find a dealer who had X1 in their demo room. Do you know any dealers in SF Bay area that might?

Would you recommend I buy X1 even if I can't demo it? Any other advice for me?

Thanks for reading, and for any advice you might offer.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
never seen the x1 but judging from my sanyo z1, i can tell you the x1 will have a great looking image. i can say this because it has a higher contrast ratio than the z1 and that is what (IMO) makes an image look great...aside from good colour of course and I hear the x1 is good in that department as well.

I feel my z1 equals my former Elite 510 Pro im PQ.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Vik, the image is extremely good, however you viewing distance should as close as possible to 2x the screen width. So at 7-8ft viewing distance you should be looking at an approx 4' wide screen. You can maybe stretch that to 5' but any more and the screen door will be evident. It's that magic distance. It's amazing how the screen-door just disappears at the right spot. Your eyes are different to mine so that magic point may be more or less, that you will have to determine for yourself. Once you hit that point, however, the image is sharp, detailed with very smooth and vibrant colours, bright with solid blacks - just gorgeous. A higher resolution machine will allow you to get closer but some other machines don't give you the contrast and colour reproduction at any distance.

Confused yet? :)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
"Closest I came was an Infocus LS-110. Picture on an HD source seemed grainier than what I have seen on RPTVs and Plasma screens."

Vik,

If this is your concern, it will be the same for the X1 since they are both SVGA projectors. You might want to audition an XGA projector.

Jon

·
Registered
149 Posts
Aviman:

You say the X1 and the LS110 will be comparable in the "graininess" of its image due to SVGA resolution. I've seen the graininess on the LS110 image and was turned off by it, however, the Projector Central review described the image of the X1 as "seamless and smooth". Their review made it sound like the new TI chip, combined with the new processing by Faroudja(?) eliminates the grainy look. Have you seen both projectors to verify either way?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Graininess is not a fully descriptive term and could be anything. Screendoor is a very uniform grid and I don't think you're talking about the same thing. The image on the X1 is not grainy (anything but), however, if you're too close, as mentioned before, the screendoor can be noticeable

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Quietman,

I'm assuming he was refering to resolution, since he was talking in terms of HD source material. That said, the Ls110 and the Z1 both have equal resolution (SVGA). I don't care what you do with chip technology SVGA is SVGA. You can defocus and smooth the edges, but you still have SVGA.

I'm currently viewing HD content on my XGA DLP projector and while it looks fantanstic, it's painfully obvious I'm lacking in resolution to fully appreciate HD source material.

Jon

·
Registered
119 Posts
Vik,

I ordered my X1 today, but I'm not concerned with HDTV since it isn't really available in my area yet. If one of your primary sources is HDTV, I would recommend a full resolution LCD, since they are around the same price.

However from what I have heard the X1 displays HDTV quite well, so its up to you.

tallvertebrate

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Vik,

Another thing to consider is screen size. As Audible said, you should expect a 4 ft. screen with the dimensions you quoted. In my opinion, thats a really small jump from your RPTV. And considering your RPTV is HDTV and the X1 is SVGA, I'm thinking your going to be disappointed with respect to resolution.

Jon

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a bunch for all the comments and advice. This forum is awesome!

After reading all the comments, its clear to me that the "graininess" that I saw with LS-110 was most likely due to the "screendoor" effect. It was a pretty uniform grid like audible described. And, if I follow his advice about the screen width, I should be OK. If I can impress my wife with the PQ, perhaps I can even move the projector to the larger room, allowing me to have a bigger picture.

Jon's point about lack of resolution is well taken. But, getting an XGA DLP would break my budget. And, the general impression I have gotten from this forum is that for home theater use, DLP is preferable to LCD. So, I guess, I will sacrifice some resolution on HD content, and probably stick with X1.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hooked up my X1 last night for the 1st time. I also sit about 11 ft from the screen. I produced a screen about 6 ft wide. The picture was great. I am very very pleased with the unit. I also had it setting right next to me and it is quiter than I thought. I was watching it this morning and was also impressed with the ability to view in daylight. This is my first projector so I can't compare it to others. I ordered this after hearing so many people rave about how good this unit was. I usally research and test everything before I buy but I did not this time and I am very happy.

BTW, I also have DISH and it looks very good. I have not watched a DVD yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.