AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD 5.1 is working for me, but... I am getting annoying "stutters" or "pauses" which almost sound like its having a hard time keeping up. Stereo through the RCA connectors doesn't have these stutters/pauses.

My setup is:

XBox

XBox HD av pack (component video and optical audio connections)

Kenwood HTB-504 (Kenwood vr-507 receiver)

For cables I just have a generic optical cable I picked up, and the speaker wires which came with the Kenwood HTB-504. I don't have monster audio cables or anything. Could that be the problem?

I haven't used my receiver with any other DD source. I got it just for the XBox, and I don't have a DVD player or another DD 5.1 source to test the receiver with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I apologize for asking, but is this with games or DVDs? When it stutters, is your soudfield changing at all? (like from DD5.1 to Stereo or something).

Sam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got off the phone with Xbox tech support at 1-800-4myxbox.

The person I spoke with confirmed that they are aware of a small number of people having either a "stuttering/dropout" problem or a "hissing/popping" problem with the optical out on the HD and advanced video packs. No problem in the dashboard or dvds, only in games.

He said they are aware of it and are researching it, and believe the problem is with certain brands of optical cables. I asked him if they had a suggested brand of optical cable which is known to work OK. He said to call back tommorrow, and he thinks they'll have an answer.

It is hard to tell if the soundfield is changing during these stutter/popping/dropouts. The stutter is very quick, like a fraction of a second, but it happens about every 3 seconds or so. The DD light on my receiver stays lit continuously.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I don't think it is your optical cable, unless you have some crimp in it. If it was your cable, it would effect DVD playback too.

Try turning off 5.1 and see if it still happens. Also try the analog inputs to your reciever to try and eliminate a few things.

Can you tell me when and where this happens? (All the time or only certain discs, etc.) Which games? (all, one specific, etc.)

I will have a better chance gettting it to the right people.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not so easy to patch a console.

I've actually experienced odd intermittent audio problems that turned out to be my (temp) cheap optical audio cable. Also might try making sure the connection is %100 dust free.

Good luck. Sure it'll be sorted soon.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bc999
I just got off the phone with Xbox tech support at 1-800-4myxbox.

The person I spoke with confirmed that they are aware of a small number of people having either a "stuttering/dropout" problem or a "hissing/popping" problem with the optical out on the HD and advanced video packs. No problem in the dashboard or dvds, only in games.

He said they are aware of it and are researching it, and believe the problem is with certain brands of optical cables. I asked him if they had a suggested brand of optical cable which is known to work OK. He said to call back tommorrow, and he thinks they'll have an answer.

It is hard to tell if the soundfield is changing during these stutter/popping/dropouts. The stutter is very quick, like a fraction of a second, but it happens about every 3 seconds or so. The DD light on my receiver stays lit continuously.
Try the AR optical cable at Best Buy, 6' length. It's cheaper in price than the Monster version (~$25), and it works great for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sspears, thanks for the assistance. Here is what I notice:

No problems at all in stereo mode/analog inputs.

When I use the optical input, there are no problems in the Xbox dashboard. (However my receiver says it's in Pro-logic mode, not DD mode when I'm in the dashboard).

When I use the optical input and have a game in, the sound is always "choppy". My receiver says it's in DD mode, and I can clearly hear that it is indeed in DD 5.1 mode. But it is quite choppy. This happens in every game I have (Halo, Gotham, Fever, and DOA3). It is choppy all the time, whether its during the intro screen or in-game. If I switch to analog inputs everything is fine.

Unfortunately I don't have a seperate DVD player or the DVD playback kit, to test if they would work properly in DD 5.1 with my receiver. Although others have posted of having this same problem, and say their DVD player works just fine with the same optical cable, so they know its not their receiver or optical cable.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JB72
Not so easy to patch a console.

I've actually experienced odd intermittent audio problems that turned out to be my (temp) cheap optical audio cable. Also might try making sure the connection is %100 dust free.

Good luck. Sure it'll be sorted soon.
With broadband networked consoles, it should ne NO problem. If it is, then Microsoft has trouble...

Sam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am beginning to think it is just a defective audio chip in a small handful of Xbox's. Everyone else I have seen who has reported this problem has said the same thing -

That DD works with their DVD player and the same optical cable, so its not the cable or receiver. Also I've tried a different HD av pack, different optical cables, and even the Monster Xbox HD av pack instead of the Microsoft one, and still it stutters constantly.

I am going to exchange my Xbox for a new one as soon as the store gets more in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The audio I get from my XBOX while playing a DVD seems to be very weak when compared to my onkyo DVD player. The bass sounds somewhat muffled. Do you think it is just poor quality or something else wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I exchanged my XBox for a new one, and problem solved! Perfect DD 5.1 sound!

I haven't been able to try the DVD playback on XBox yet, as they've been out of the DVD kit everywhere.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I haven't had a chance to try the DD yet on my Xbox. Still waiting on a breakout cable. I just double checked where my xbox was made and I'm glad it says HUNGARY. :)

Awesome console btw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
bc999,

you said you tried both the Microsoft HD Pack and the HD Monster cables for your XBOX. Could you see a noticable picture difference in the Monster cables? I have talked with a salesman at a software store who said he played his XBOX with both and that the Monster cables were a huge difference in picture quality due to the fact that the Microsoft HD Pack is not shielded from electrical or magnetic interference. I don't want to pay $100.00 for cables when I can spend $20.00 for HD pack + $15.00 for an optical cable. Anyone one else want to chime in. This is really driving me nuts!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Cables _can_ make a big difference. However, that doesn't always mean they will.

I am running with monster cables for my xbox, and it looks really quite good. However, I haven't tried without them, so I can't give you a comparison.

System:

xbox (duh)

B&K Reference 30 Pre/Pro

B&K 5 channel amp

Panasonic 56WXF95 56" RPTV

I should actually clarify - I run monster cables from the xbox HD pack to my pre/pro (which supports component switching). I have some other cable I run from my pre/pro to my TV, but it is similar/better quality.

My advice to you is to hook it up without them - play it for awhile. If you can't tell a difference, then you've saved yourself some money. However, if you have some spare cables around, I'd give them a try and see if it helps your setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.